Advertising

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MJI said:

I work all day on a PC so a paper magazine is a nice change

4 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I agree but living outside of the UK makes the cost of postage extreme to prohibitive.  So digital it has to be.

Yes it is expensive but like Martin I prefer paper so I'm prepared to pay for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

2 hours ago, animotion said:

I suggest you take a leaf out of the Western Thunder book that also offers the same services as RMWEB but without the invasive advertising.

Which shows you know little. I have nothing against the site whatsoever but you are talking massively different animals and costs - but then that is of no concern to your limited outlook. 

Just in terms of membership numbers alone RMweb & WT are very different. If WT got the same membership & traffic as RMweb, there'd be adverts on it or suchlike, it'd be beyond one person to fund - as happened to Andy with RMweb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, animotion said:

Is the invasive advertising a ploy to get visitors to sign up to Gold membership?

No. But you didn't bother reading when that was previously addressed did you?

Yes, you can choose to do so but it's not a ploy - that's just an insult which gets my back up; but you probably knew that.

You probably haven't bothered to read several posts about a low-cost ad-free option either; or what it's likely to cost. I will ask you directly; would you pay for that?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Probably stating the obvious but I would guess that what's hacking people off with the ads as they currently are, is the "scattergun" approach, where the ads seem to jump in and out without any apparent logic about placement and feature products and services that seem to be picked at random with no clear demographic reason.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, animotion said:

Is the invasive advertising a ploy to get visitors to sign up to Gold membership?

That sort of statement deserves a 'dislike' button!

It is a losing suggestion. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a trend of folks jumping in on this topic to complain about the ads without making any effort to read what has gone before. I have seen this on support topics for mobile phone apps too - just a constant barrage of "its broke - fix it" no matter how much the designers or other contributors try to say "yes we know, it's being fixed, wait"

I suppose working in Software development support for 8 years I have more of an insight into what has to go into a "fix" to make sure it does not right royally mess things up more ...........

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

There seems to be a trend of folks jumping in on this topic to complain about the ads without making any effort to read what has gone before. I have seen this on support topics for mobile phone apps too - just a constant barrage of "its broke - fix it" no matter how much the designers or other contributors try to say "yes we know, it's being fixed, wait"

I suppose working in Software development support for 8 years I have more of an insight into what has to go into a "fix" to make sure it does not right royally mess things up more ...........

Couldn't agree more, Ian! Andy must be 'up to his ears' in it at the moment - we should just let him get on with it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, resin001 said:

Just watched a few of the video clips that wander across my PC / Ipad - they are not actually advertising anything !  Unless you can buy sea turtles or nice colored caterpillars - is there a link hiding somewhere ?  

and a cursory glance through the topic would reveal that these are test adverts not the real thing :banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For everyone who is despairing because of the ads, get an Adblocker.  They work and it's better you do that than leave.  But they're not perfect and I suggest you only do it as a temporary measure, on this site at least.  The site has to be paid for and if everyone continued to enjoy it on a free basis with an adblocker, the advertisers would go away and the site would become financially unviable.  So if the ads are a gross irritant, block them now but then subscribe to Plum or whatever it's going to be called as soon as it comes out.  That's certainly what I'm going to do.  If the price is as has been suggested, it'll be terrific value for no-ad access to what I believe is far and away the most informative railway modelling site anywhere.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Legend said:

You really have got to feel sorry for Andy . He created RMweb . The resource we use today  is down to him . And yes I'm a non gold freeloader and yes we have disagreed in the past.  I have to say RMweb has totally transformed and enhanced the way I enjoy this hobby .  Yes there are other sites but none as well used and all encompassing as this one . When Hornby announce their new range on 10/1/22 I'll bet most people wont be on Hornby , they will be on RMweb  because thats the best coverage .

Now clearly something is going wrong in advertising , Andy is trying to sort it . All hes getting is "its unusable" ," its a way of getting gold membership"," im not posting anything further" etc etc  can we not cut him a bit of slack given all he has delivered to us so far . I'm sure he's not happy with the situation and making his views known 

I don't subscribe to any magazine and so packages wrapped up in mag subscription print or digital don't work for me , but given the importance of RMweb to enjoyment of the hobby I'd seriously look at Plum when it comes out . 

I also feel really sorry for Andy as he created and has nurtured this site.  But I'm b****y furious with Warners.  The mess that is now RM Web is not the result of a malicious cyberattack by a hacker. It is happening because somebody at Warners decided to swamp the site with ads and videos and despite the overwhelming negative feedback this mess, apparently caused by testing on the live site, has been allowed to persist  for several weeks.  Maximising profits is one thing, but destroying the product in the process is not good business. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Torper said:

For everyone who is despairing because of the ads, get an Adblocker.  They work and it's better you do that than leave.  But they're not perfect and I suggest you only do it as a temporary measure, on this site at least.  The site has to be paid for and if everyone continued to enjoy it on a free basis with an adblocker, the advertisers would go away and the site would become financially unviable.  So if the ads are a gross irritant, block them now but then subscribe to Plum or whatever it's going to be called as soon as it comes out.  That's certainly what I'm going to do.  If the price is as has been suggested, it'll be terrific value for no-ad access to what I believe is far and away the most informative railway modelling site anywhere.

DT

It is why I took out Gold, so can’t agree more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• AY Mod locked this topic