Advertising

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, steve1 said:

If you can just get rid of that obscuring banner at the top of the page by putting it at the bottom,

I can't. There's already one down there and, as any 1980s film-buff knows, you shouldn't cross the streams.

• Funny 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, micklner said:

Adblocker and Firefox sort it.

I look forward to giving you a solution to save you having to do that which means you can help pay for the running of the site.

• Like 3

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, johndon said:

this site currently has the most in your face advertising I've ever seen

You've not been round the internet much then. ;)

Trust me; there's far worse but I aim to get it improved.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

15 minutes ago, johndon said:

24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Anyway; if you all don't mind could you please stop grumbling for a bit (I've had a belly-full) and see if tweaks get made.

Thanks for the continued efforts.

Edited by rodent279
Correction to first para.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I recognise and understand the need for adverts, the format showing at the moment with full page adverts every couple of hours, adverts top and bottom and side is making RMweb feel like some of the worst "newspaper" websites, an altogether unpleasant experience. Unfortunately, I predict that if this keeps up RMweb will haemorrhage members.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The worst examples of online advertising are the newspaper websites, both local and national which have now reached a point of being utterly unreadable which rather defeats the point of their existence.  Even if you use an adblocker on them, you now get a big banner blocking your screen now saying please turn your adblocker off!!!

Hopefully RMWeb won't go the same way but remember it is owned by a big media group...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Hopefully RMWeb won't go the same way but remember it is owned by a big media group...

Aparently it's only owned by a little media group, of which BRM is their biggest title?

This'll be my last post for a while now, RMweb is virtually un-readable & un-useable on a smartphone now.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for trying to sort this out . I appreciate it’s nothing that you are doing that’s causing the issue . However today the position got worse . There’s now a banner across the top of the screen that I can’t get to go away , there’s a pop up at the bottom  and and advert running down the side . In addition there’s the even more intrusive pop up ad covering the whole page on signing in .  You have to be particularly careful here as you have to click a button to say no I don’t want this and the position of that button changes depending on the ad . 

As I said , I know this is not your doing and you are trying to sort it out , but I think the people responsible need to understand that this is advertising gone mad . I am on no other site , Facebook, YouTube where it’s as bad as this .  This is not balanced advertising . 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Sooner or later the whole issue of excessive advertising is going to kill off large parts of the internet by making them unusable. I welcome that day when we move away from an advert funded web to one paid for by users directly. Quality will improve and the clickbait will vanish.

Andi

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Firstly to re iterate thanks to Andy Y for his efforts to get some kind of resolution to the annoying aspects which have arisen over the past few days.

I think those responsible for the format and placement of the Ads need to appreciate that the last thing an ad needs if it is to succeed, is to be so annoying to the target audience that its totally ignored while a way of removing it is sought.

The one at the top of the screen which shuffles downwards and moves the topic options you are trying to click on is a brilliant example. I don't think anyone should be interfering with my control of my laptop for any reason.

Regards,

John           

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The top banner ad is covering the top of the menu drop down, notifications area!

So I can’t access that list now… 

Yes you can, click this link:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/notifications/

Likewise for your PMs, click this

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/messenger/

Favourite/bookmark this post for future reference.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok Andy but just to give some feedback from this side it all looks and behaves as it should. Nothing against adverts I get that they are a necessity to fund the operation but it was so frustrating having them covering such an important part of the forum. 
Thanks for the hard work.

Andy

2 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Ok Andy but just to give some feedback from this side it all looks and behaves as it should. Nothing against adverts I get that they are a necessity to fund the operation but it was so frustrating having them covering such an important part of the forum. 
Thanks for the hard work.

Andy

Ah, it appears I’ve spoken to soon.

The top banner is back covering the icons. Back to the drawing board.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have not been subjected to the recent spate of advertising.  Possibly this is because of the security settings I have on my PC.  

What has occurred tonight - and it may be linked to the advertising and its solutions - is that a blank banner has appeared across the top of the page.  No way to remove it and of course it obscures what is below.  So when I page down, part of the new page is obscured.

Sorry to bring yet another problem Andy.

• Agree 4