Advertising

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

we are playing trains, not curing cancer if some perspective is applied, so ultimately, it's all a bit pointless...

Damn, there goes my proposal for next year's Nobel prize...

• Funny 2

On 17/10/2021 at 08:36, Stubby47 said:

As Andy said they (we) don't see adverts, and that is an issue as we then miss model railway related ones.

Hence my suggestion of an adverts sub-forum, a bit like the back pages of a printed mag.

I have yet to see a Model railway related advert, they all appear to be  about cruises to Alaska, Catapillars and attempts to get me to complete charity 'surveys'. Thank heavens I can mute them!

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Ian_B said:

I have yet to see a Model railway related advert, they all appear to be  about cruises to Alaska, Catapillars and attempts to get me to complete charity 'surveys'. Thank heavens I can mute them!

I think thats because you are a normal member and not "Gold" .  I see the same as you  but , you know what, after a while you just blot it out , so for me these films are not an issue .  The big issue is the pop up advert that requires me to click to get rid of it . I've already clicked the wrong button once because the button to remove is not always in the same place , you might think almost on purpose.  But overall I'm getting used to it . Just another one of modern lifes annoyances  and in the scheme of things a pretty much 1 out of 10 issue .

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Legend said:

The big issue is the pop up advert that requires me to click to get rid of it. I've already clicked the wrong button once because the button to remove is not always in the same place, you might think almost on purpose.

If, instead of this site, anyone were to look at Android games, there'd be no element of doubt. With lots of them, the "get rid" flag doesn't exist. With others, it might appear to exist - but clicking on it only takes you through to a "sales" site or (when the adverts are for games), it takes you to what looks like the "play store" - often repeatedly - before (hopefully) finally allowing you to return to your "game".

Whatever the score, you know you're going to be forced to sit through at least one 30 second advert for every few seconds of "gameplay".

As for the "games" themselves, many of them seem to have been designed specifically to ensure that you spend much longer looking at ads than you're allowed to spend actually playing the games. Often, the difficulty of levels also seems to be calibrated - either so easy that a 2 year old could clear them in a few seconds - or unplayable without "boosters", for which you're either expected to pay or forced to sit through even more adverts.

Strangely enough, I'm not planning on downloading / installing any Android games any time soon ... .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have tried to ignore the multitude of pop up adverts for a few weeks , but, it's time to look elsewhere I think , it's just too many for me and it spoils the use of the site completely ,I understand the need for revenue but this is overkill , never seen the like on any other site apart from the obvious clickbait ones tbh and I don't continue to try to read those either, not sure I am alone with this from reading the comments on the subject .

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, D410Monarch said:

I have tried to ignore the multitude of pop up adverts for a few weeks , but, it's time to look elsewhere I think , it's just too many for me and it spoils the use of the site completely ,I understand the need for revenue but this is overkill , never seen the like on any other site apart from the obvious clickbait ones tbh and I don't continue to try to read those either, not sure I am alone with this from reading the comments on the subject .

Doesn't sound right, I'm not getting any of those with RMWeb whitelisted in the adblocker (unless there's a browser setting that's preventing them).

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

:yawn

as a moderator, I thought that you would have more of a concern that folk just aren't coming on this forum as much,if at all ,  a yawn is pretty childish in my eyes . If you are that bored by the comments about pop ups, doesn't that show that there have been many and maybe this needs looking at ?

• Agree 6

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, D410Monarch said:

as a moderator, I thought that you would have more of a concern that folk just aren't coming on this forum as much,if at all ,  a yawn is pretty childish in my eyes . If you are that bored by the comments about pop ups, doesn't that show that there have been many and maybe this needs looking at ?

More to the point, why haven't you read and remembered what I have already said in this topic we are working on?

When I need actual data on usage I look at analytics.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Not an complaint about the adverts this time, but some hopefully constructive feedback for @AY Mod

The advert shown in the screenshot just appeared for me but nothing, other than what you see below, appeared and the X at the top right that, i assume should have allowed me to close the ad was completely unresponsive.

A press of Back and then Forward solved the problem but the add itself could not be closed...

Advert.jpg.5d52a4f2d14b5e83cc9aa8c82b1fef9c.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Lets face it - we're just a bunch of old guys with nothing better to do than waste time on a device of choice!.  Don't like intrusive ads?  Then this is not the place for you; try a more specific topic where there is more interest than someone's ailments.  RMW can be an enjoyable experience, so don't let the ads bother you to the point of giving up on it!

Brian.:)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This site is the second one I access every day(the first is the news........to see if China hasn't invaded us yet:unsure: and the weather is going to be good enough for me to go fishing:good:). It's an incredible mine of information, lots of good camardarie and mostly a lot of fun...........why do we get so much agro:unsure:.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2021 at 18:46, AY Mod said:

We've knocked them through the print works and we're posting them out on Monday. You may not get back through the front door if you've gone out.

Well, I've been away, and got back today.  My subsciption copy was there, but I seem to have missed out on the adverts (fortunately).

Dave

• Funny 1