Advertising

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, pwr said:

I've noticed there are fewer posts on the forums I visit. 

Paul R

Statistical evidence from Google Analytics shows little difference in traffic levels. You seem to be keen on being negative about it and we are working on the ad-free solution still (and I hope you take that option up) but in the meantime those annoying ads are paying for you and everyone else to use the site free of charge.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

those annoying ads are paying for you and everyone else to use the site free of charge.

The number and format of the ads on RMWeb are no different to any other free site I frequent. If I am not paying to use a web forum then I expect there to be ads. I don't personally find them especially annoying or intrusive and I can easily ignore them or close them when they pop-up. I have the option to become a gold member and not see the ads but have chosen to continue with free membership for now. In my own case it has definitely not caused me to reduce my visits or time spent on the site, nor has it reduced my enjoyment of it.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2021 at 07:47, St Enodoc said:

Corrected.

Cauliflower...........flatulence, Members of our local Council must live on the stuff!!. Road maintenance obligations!!!! potholes, who cares?? Last week broken axle after hitting one of the potholes after rain so unable to judge the depth.......result one broken axle on a 4x4 :mad:response from said authority.......zilch!!:angry:

Edited by ikks

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SonOfMike said:

The number and format of the ads on RMWeb are no different to any other free site I frequent. If I am not paying to use a web forum then I expect there to be ads. I don't personally find them especially annoying or intrusive and I can easily ignore them or close them when they pop-up. I have the option to become a gold member and not see the ads but have chosen to continue with free membership for now. In my own case it has definitely not caused me to reduce my visits or time spent on the site, nor has it reduced my enjoyment of it.

I'm sorry, but your sort of rational, balanced analysis of the situation has absolutely no place in a thread of this sort, where conspiracy theories abound, and it is only a matter of time before we learn that the entire cast and crew of BRM has absconded to the Cayman Islands, laden down with pure gold. Please avoid posting such common sense again. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've had the privacy agreement page come up every time I've clicked in today. Usually only comes up after my laptop clears trackers.

There’s a separate thread on that with the suggestion of clearing rmweb cookies and cache to fix. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

I'm getting an advert right across where you click to View New Content.

Ads.jpg

I've escalated that. It seems to be occasional and goes on a refresh.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/11/2021 at 22:54, Dungrange said:

What I'd really like to know, is where is the location of the place that shows in these non-adds?  Is that what the Caymen islands looks like?

image.png.e5ef6a662ffccaf316b212ce4329bd71.png

As I don't get to see the ads, I can't be sure.

However, judging by the thumbnail showing what looks like a load of artificial islands - with buildings on them - apparently linked by bridges - plus what looks like underwater sand build-ups - I might wonder about Dubai.

Of course, I'm probably very much mistaken.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Good call but it's Mission Bay Beach, San Diego.

1652603178_missionbaybeach.jpg.2d1583410c2093af62ee1e25c8219f7a.jpg

Google is everywhere. It does the adverts, gives Andy his stats, stores all my photos and found this location. Extremely useful and a little bit terrifying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I appreciate the need for ads but don't see why they should be centre screen and have to be deselected. Many sites run banner ads as does this one, which is an acceptable presentation. There should be no need to have to cancel ads to see the main content - in my opinion.

• Agree 3

My turn now! Win 10 Edge.

- constant adverts that knock the content I wish to see up the screen and out of view. I quite understand the need for the ads to pay for the site and I have no issue with ads being displayed, but for them to reposition the view each time I look up a new page / topic, then it becomes a nuisance. Whilst I know I can pay to have these taken away, i don't see why a non-paying subscriber should have to keep readjusting the page in order to see the content that they wish to.

- now the Privacy Agreement is appearing each time a new page is viewed!

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've had the privacy agreement page come up every time I've clicked in today. Usually only comes up after my laptop clears trackers.

I’m using Safari on iPad and trackers are way above my pay grade I’m afraid but I’m also getting the privacy agreement appear on every layout topic I go to

On 04/11/2021 at 12:38, s182ggu said:

My turn now! Win 10 Edge.

- constant adverts that knock the content I wish to see up the screen and out of view. I quite understand the need for the ads to pay for the site and I have no issue with ads being displayed, but for them to reposition the view each time I look up a new page / topic, then it becomes a nuisance. Whilst I know I can pay to have these taken away, i don't see why a non-paying subscriber should have to keep readjusting the page in order to see the content that they wish to.

- now the Privacy Agreement is appearing each time a new page is viewed!

This is also the most annoying bit about these new adverts for me. The ones that appear on a mobile device are also annoying, at least the volume on them is muted by default. 

• RMweb Premium

You do wonder why people would advertise in this way. I’m assuming they sign up with google or whatever in the hope of attracting business   but do they realise that their adverts are so annoying that you would only use them when hell freezes over ?  I’m referring to the pop up adverts , I’ve already discounted the pics with blue caterpillars etc .  

• Agree 4

I am seeing website time outs (two in the last half hour or so - time as of typing is GMT 10:49pm on November 8). The site did not appear to be "down", since I was able to reload the community page shortly afterwards.

While waiting for a page to load, I noticed a "waiting for tps11003.doubleverify.com" message prior to a timeout.

I can't conclude that this particular website (or handling of advertising) was connected to the performance issue but it feels suggestive that there are some timeout gremlins related to advertising going on.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed error
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, asa said:

I dont mind the adverts but these aren't adverts they're random little videos of a caterpiller or somebody melting a glass rod or lions.Definately not like adverts.

AYmod has said further up they are testing in relation to advertising. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm suddenly getting loads of ads in the RH panel

They're not the video, which is still running bottom right but plain ads panels and they come and go and jump around in the content as I scroll.

Very annoying.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2021 at 08:17, Blandford1969 said:

AYmod has said further up they are testing in relation to advertising. 

I was wondering how the testing is going. It's certainly very thorough, judging by the length of time it's been going on.  :-)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

I was wondering how the testing is going. It's certainly very thorough, judging by the length of time it's been going on.  :-)

Believe it or not some is still being done! (some tonight)

But, I can say...

• Google Ads will stay.
  • There will be a sensible cost ad-free option soon (I can't say 'imminent' or someone will get upset).
  • Once that's in place ads will be developed further for some member groups.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Does that include ads from 'Smaller Suppliers' , for example, being shown to all , should they want to advertise ?

TBC after some technical 'discussions'. 

• Like 2