Advertising

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Is there been any progress on the Silver level of membership? (I.e. no adverts but no access to BRM magazine).

Nope.

Sorry.

Really; I'm sorry.

Very sorry.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As I've mentioned, users of Firefox to browse RMweb don't see any of this.

The objection is not to the advertisements themselves, but to the web trackers which advertisers install to track your online activity. Firefox blocks trackers by default. It's free and easy to install, and you don't need to use it for anything other than RMweb if you don't want to: https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/

Today's news on such trackers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55259602

Martin.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 12:19, mcowgill said:

I think I've got a bit of RMWeb content on the screen in amongst the adverts and video!

Right clicking on any of the videos brings up the text 'About Connatix V82898'

Martin

image.png.8859ee560c20b9ced34656889b49754a.png

same here, Some very large add with a turtle or summit  come up, I just drop down to the forum topics straight away, lookin at the other ADS I wonder how many actually click on them I know I never have, I have currently Audi , VW , Sum German outfit and a Kitchen Crowd. It should be Canned Beans and Bread ads really. The bots clearly have no access to my Financials......yet :)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

As I've mentioned, users of Firefox to browse RMweb don't see any of this.

The objection is not to the advertisements themselves, but to the web trackers which advertisers install to track your online activity. Firefox blocks trackers by default. It's free and easy to install, and you don't need to use it for anything other than RMweb if you don't want to: https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/

Today's news on such trackers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55259602

Martin.

Sorry Martin, but that's not correct. I use Firefox and I do have the problem. My objection is to the intrusiveness of the adverts.

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Sorry Martin, but that's not correct. I use Firefox and I do have the problem. My objection is to the intrusiveness of the adverts.

Firefox has an option to block trackers / adverts - I use it and I get no adverts on RMweb.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Hi,

You need to switch on the tracking protection. It's on by default in the UK but maybe not where you are:

ff_tracking.png.6ab7d9e04d5931af139ea14953fa9a16.png

Go to RMweb in Firefox. Make sure your Firefox is up-to-date.

1. click the shield icon at the left end of the address bar.

2. click the button to switch tracking protection on.

3. no more adverts which set trackers. Which appears to mean all of them.

I would have no objection to simple adverts which didn't do that -- a picture, some words, a link to a web site. That's all that is needed.

If still no joy, 1. enter about:preferences in the address bar, and then click on Privacy&Security:

ff_tracking1.png.d3927031744f77bd285ed0f854003452.png

2. click on the Strict option. All websites I visit work fine.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi,

You need to switch on the tracking protection. It's on by default in the UK but maybe not where you are:

ff_tracking.png.6ab7d9e04d5931af139ea14953fa9a16.png

Go to RMweb in Firefox. Make sure your Firefox is up-to-date.

1. click the shield icon at the left end of the address bar.

2. click the button to switch tracking protection on.

3. no more adverts which set trackers. Which appears to mean all of them.

I would have no objection to simple adverts which didn't do that -- a picture, some words, a link to a web site. That's all that is needed.

cheers,

Martin.

Tracking protection is, and always has been, on although I haven't selected the "strict" or "custom" options, due to the warnings about affecting the performance of sites.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Tracking protection is, and always has been, on although I haven't selected the "strict" or "custom" options, due to the warnings about affecting the performance of sites.

Hi,

I have set Strict, and have had no problem with any web site. And no adverts on RMweb (or most other places).

Without the adverts, the performance of most sites improves.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi,

I have set Strict, and have had no problem with any web site. And no adverts on RMweb (or most other places).

Without the adverts, the performance of most sites improves.

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks Martin. That seems to work here now. If it gives me problems elsewhere I believe I can change the settings for individual sites.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

With these new video ads (sometimes one or two of them per page), it completely messed up my phone to the point where it restarts itself because it can’t cope with the processing power needed. Along with loading pages or making messages, it locks up and has to refresh the page, when it allows me to. Every time there’s an update to the page (like making a message, loading an image into the message, checking feeds) all the ads reset and tends to over cook whatever I’m viewing RM on. If I’m on a page too long, the ad finishes and everything operates as normal, until the next ad comes or resets. If the ads didn’t take up as much power to run, wouldn’t mind it, but having issues with the devices I’m running it, that’s an issue. 

My laptop doesn’t like it either, but can manage. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I have the same problem 

I'm using Edge & tried Google incognito, both are affected

I like some of those affected are outside the UK, could our location be part of the problem

One small mercy is that once muted the add stays muted

I really hope there is some way to get rid of it

John

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/12/2020 at 17:55, John ks said:

I have the same problem 

I'm using Edge & tried Google incognito, both are affected

I like some of those affected are outside the UK, could our location be part of the problem

One small mercy is that once muted the add stays muted

I really hope there is some way to get rid of it

John

I didn’t know they produced sound, I guess I’m fortunate then. 

I'm outside the UK as well, and I've been really annoyed with those full screen ads, enough so that I am going to give firefox a go on my rmweb machine.  The shine has definitely left me as far as chrome is concerned...

Martin - the firefox tracking protection wasn't enabled in the version I downloaded in North America, but enabling the strict setting did the job.  Thank you.

Edited by TheEngineShed
Update
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I must apologise in advance if I reveal my lack of understanding of the issue, but I too am very annoyed by the large, intrusive, advertisement appearing on RMWeb for some weeks now.

The advertisement/videos appear to be coming from some company called 'Connatix' who, it seems, have breached RMWeb security and attached their messages to the RMWeb page.   I have no reason to think RMWeb have approved the Connatix advert/videos, but it seems it is only RMWeb who can remove this unwelcome intruder.

I think that maybe I should be concerned that RMWeb seem to have allowed this intrusion and, so far as I can see are making no attempt to correct the situation.

If I am misunderstanding the situation as it appears to me to be, please do not hesitate to tell me so.   I certainly do not mean to offend anyone.

Best regard,

Charles

• Agree 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Charles said:

I think that maybe I should be concerned that RMWeb seem to have allowed this intrusion and, so far as I can see are making no attempt to correct the situation.

Please note I previously posted this comment https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/158853-advertising/&do=findComment&comment=4224848

The issue was escalated for @SteveCole to take up with our IT people and I'm awaiting clarification. From what has been reported I believe that the they're only seen by overseas users. As also mentioned before you don't get Google served ads if you pay to be a Gold member.

Tks Andy,

Nothing is working at all.

I've tried to make a Full Paid join-up on a number of occassions, buit there is nothing here, or previously, which will lead me to where I can do so.

I think the obvious 'filthy intrusion' should have been of more concern.

Charles

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Charles said:

Nothing is working at all.

It must be; you've signed in and posted so everything appears to be functional.

Have you tried to sign up from the links here?

That will take you to here - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/store/digital-archive/british-railway-modelling

If you do sign up please send me a message so I can make the changes at this end as necessary.

Tks, Andy,

Leaving the most urgent issue to one side, for, hopefully a short while, I must say NO, I have not tried to join RMWeb from observing posts which might have been made about the subject, as that is what you have provided.  

I sort of expected that if I wanted to join RMWeb, with money, that I might find a means of 'signing-up' within RMWeb within the RMWeb website, but I can find none.

I have tried on a number of occassions.

Only too happy to join up with a bunch of the Best People in the World, but I find when I accept your suggested means of  'signing-up', I find FILTH.

Your call, Andy.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Charles said:

I find when I accept your suggested means of  'signing-up', I find FILTH.

What are you on about? I provided a legitimate link. If you are seeing inappropriate content in your browser I would suggest you run malware detection software as you may have caught something you shouldn't have.