Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Shirley Rowe

Flying Pig

• RMweb Premium

That's very sad news. I knew Dave and Shirley slightly from the exhibition circuit years ago and of course more recently through her work in looking after MRJ overseas subscriptions. I shall miss the Christmas card she always popped in with the last issue of the year.

My thoughts are with Dave, the family and her colleagues at MRJ.

• Like 1

Dave & Shirley Rowe, what a lovely couple, so saddened to here of Shirley’s passing, she was a superb modeller.

They created the most delightful models in various scales, Exbridge Quey comes to mind, so many creations from them, talent by the boat load and a standard that set them apart.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Very sad to read the news. Although I never met them my mind is instantly transported to the April 1977 edition of the Model Railway Constructor, when I was a still at school in Tywyn. The little town of LLareggub featured in full colour on the front of the magazine and I was thrilled to read about Dave and Shirley's interpretation of Butcher Beynon and co from Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood.

Linky to the layout https://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-89a-september-2009/#milkwood

RIP Shirley and condolences to all the family and friends - you certainly made a mark on my young mind !!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago, I saw "Catalunya" at the York show. The quality of the modelling was tremendous, and to watch a "day" from sunrise and the seabird calls, through to evening, the sun setting, the lights coming on in the buildings and the sound of the musicians in the bars, was an experience not to be forgotten. ISTR the layout might still exist—in Pecorama, perhaps? It's certainly a worthy example of her skills.

• Agree 6

Very sorry to hear the news. I well remember Shirley and Dave in their 'tent' at the Bristol show when it was in the Exhibition Centre, quite a few years ago now. I believe Catalunya is still in the Peco exhibition - at least it was on my visit last year. Sincere condolences to Dave and family.