European wagon fleet details: sources for names, numbers, types and classes (and photos and diagrams while we're at it)

readingtype

• RMweb Premium

Hi

For those people who model German railways Era 3 to the present day there is a very good selection of books that provide details of the majority of standard gauge freight wagons. They include photos and sometimes very good drawings, dimensions and weights, dates of introduction and withdrawal, and the numbering ranges carried. Prominent in this selection is the Güterwagen series largely 'curated' by Stefan Carstens and published by MIBA. In earlier years Eisenbahn Journal used to publish features on individual wagon types going back to the nineteenth century which were pretty comprehensive.

Wonderful as these were and are, I seem to have developed a weakness for facts about wagons that are from other European countries outside Germany. And for (currently h0) models of same, ideally from a time period I am in theory modelling, which I then want to renumber. But I don't know what the number ranges were or where to find out more about them, and often I'm not very certain of the accuracy of the models however nice they look.

I've found some passing references to this kind of info in forums in other languages, but not a great deal. I have not found many books, and certainly very few with decent drawings. So, might as well make a proper list: can anyone recommend published sources for Austria, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, the Netherlands, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or places further afield? I admit I don't yet know whether Bulgarian, Greek or Turkish vehicles ran into north west Europe. So my list of countries is probably too short. But I'd welcome anything people know of, online or off, and I hope this might be useful to other people too. I'll try to remember to post the ones I find here, and of course to include the German ones.

Though it would be consistent with the topic to include the UK, this would obviously overlap the mass of information both in this section and elsewhere on the forum. But in that connection, I just bought a great book (wagon fanciers only) with photos taken in the main goods yards in Stuttgart and found a photo of a Lowmac in it, and that's started me off again :-)

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Here are overall dimension diagrams of German wagons. The source is 'Deutsche Bundesbahn - Die Güterwagen der Regelbauart', a publication of the Deutsche Bundesbahn's HQ in 1950. I said the German stock was well documented but this source may be helpful.

Edited by readingtype

• 2 weeks later...

I found a useful little book on Polish wagons entitled, Atlas Wagonow Towarowych, by Pawel Terczynski (ISBN 839332571-4)

Contains basic dimensions and build dates and a bit of a write up on each type as well as a photo. One wagon type to a page.

The on introductory pages give some background on numbering, classification and so on.

It is obviously, all in Polish.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2020 at 13:20, SM42 said:

I found a useful little book on Polish wagons entitled, Atlas Wagonow Towarowych, by Pawel Terczynski (ISBN 839332571-4)

Thanks Andy! Roughly what time period is covered?

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2020 at 14:31, Neil said:

Some Dutch stuff here on the Flickr site of Floris Dilz. You will have to scroll down a little for them.

Thanks Neil. Even leaving aside the items relevant to this thread, that is an extremely dangerous page for me to look at. I'll have to ration my visits and pick off the goodies one at a time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, readingtype said:

Thanks Andy! Roughly what time period is covered?

Earliest is 1945 build date that I could see with a quick flick through, but most are 70s 80 and 90s with some post 2000 and some 1960s builds.

Quite a mix really

Many of the types can still be found running around the network and certainly post 2000

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Swedish Railway Museum, produced a book covering all goods wagons both state and private upto 1956 called "Svenska Godsvagnar Normalspår 1956-1956"

Many of the older vehicles ran well into the 1960's and the later types were around well into the 1980's at least

Patrick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1