Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The use of kitchen units.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, a touch of advanced planning here. 

What is the collective's observations on the use of kitchen units, as  suitable space underneath a layout? The possible  intention is to build the set-up without a kitchen worktop, leaving that to allow space for wiring & point motors, etc.  I've built plenty of kitchens down the years (in fact, I've got one to build next year )  but this (for me ) will be a first. Naturally, the proposed layout will be built in lieu of  a kitchen.....*

* ' Here is Gordon, the big bleu  engine....'

Cheers,

Ian.

• Moderators

Purely as an illustration I've used kitchen base units (without plinths) and wall units in various configurations for desk/workbench as below*.

desk.jpg

If you were then to use legs/framework to whatever height (12-18"?) you wish for the baseboards (with removable/hinged baseboard sections which tilt up) on top of the worktop you get the storage and a firm foundation.

*One day two years ago when it happened to be tidy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used all sorts of kitchen units / cupboards  / shelves, in building the supports for my layout.

Each board will be removeable, but the intention is all electric wiring will be brought to the front or back of the layout and hidden under a panel (effectively a cable duct along the front of the layout), Also the servos will be powering wire in tube to the points they too will be mounted on the front or back.

I have no intention of working under layouts any more, whether they be free standing or tilted up,,

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

it should still be the same

In theory.

In practice the desk is littered with products, instructions, notes and stuff awaiting a good tidying up. The bench side is full of products waiting to be snapped and bits waiting to be put on things, some from accessory packs and the rest is whatever falls off stuff. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have kitchen units as the base for an intended layout, the top surface is mdf rather than kitchen worktops (cheaper and lighter).  Most kitchen units have a "service void" at the back, which is the best part of 2" deep; Ikea units (which I used) don't have this, which means the cabinets are nearly 2" deeper (= most room to store all those unbuilt kits.....)

• Like 2

Mine is on kitchen units, the boards either hinge or lift off for maintenance. No nice kitchen worktop, one was cobbled together from bits of 1/2" chipboard and other horrors, with conventional framed boards sitting on top. I wouldn't leave it open between cupboard and boards, you only need to snag a wire putting something away ...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Purely as an illustration I've used kitchen base units (without plinths) and wall units in various configurations for desk/workbench as below*.

desk.jpg

If you were then to use legs/framework to whatever height (12-18"?) you wish for the baseboards (with removable/hinged baseboard sections which tilt up) on top of the worktop you get the storage and a firm foundation.

*One day two years ago when it happened to be tidy.

The lighting rig and sofa to the right give the impression they're used for 'Artistic' filming......so I'm told by others with more knowledge of the matter....:rolleyes:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

The lighting rig and sofa to the right give the impression they're used for 'Artistic' filming......so I'm told by others with more knowledge of the matter....:rolleyes:

I wondered where I'd seen it before.

Mike.

or so a friend said!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

My 'kitchen unit' is a large 1950's Hygena one around 4'6" wide with a slide out work top with 2 drawers below, 3 cupboards under that, a top section with 2 side cupboards and a centre cupboard with doors and a roller shutter.  Bought around 45 years ago from an advert in a local shop for a meagre amount, it has served me well over the years.  It's probably worth a fortune now as a 'retro shabby chic' item!

• Like 1