Bachmann E-Z Command DCC transformer

slipalong

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, slipalong said:

I have just been given a Bachmann E-Z Command basic DCC controller but there is no transformer with it. Bachmann do not supply one and Ebay hasn't thrown up anything. Can anybody suggest a suitable replacement please? Thank you

This would get more chance of views in the DCC help forum.  I have let the Mods know.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slipalong said:

I have just been given a Bachmann E-Z Command basic DCC controller but there is no transformer with it. Bachmann do not supply one and Ebay hasn't thrown up anything. Can anybody suggest a suitable replacement please? Thank you

The EZ's I'm familiar with need AC, in the range 11-16v AC output.    The supplied one is, I think, 16vAC, and tends to run trains rather fast in my view.   Some years ago (decade or more) a friend and I experimented and found 11v was about the lowest which was reliable.   

AC power supplies are getting rarer, though still around.   Or use the AC on the side of an old H&M controller (or many other similar old controllers).  

It's definitely AC input. You might like to check out this link: https://tinyurl.com/yxhwpydg

This is to an Ebay item that I have used in the past for xmas lights. Provides a nominal 12VAC output. there are some variations, just make sure it says AC/AC and is double insulated. The connector may need changing but there are solderable ones or push on adapters available for that.

On a small 00 layout I found the control of locomotives with these Bachmann units very good