Railway Modeller Subscription - Delivery Issues

WolfofBadenoch

Are any subscribers to Railway Modeller unsatisfied with the delivery of their magazine?

I'm asking for my dad. For years he just had an order with the local newsagent and once a month it got delivered with the morning paper. A couple of years ago with an impending change of ownership at the newsagent he decided to subscribe direct to Railway Modeller but has found the delivery quite poor. Often it has been delivered later than expected, and he's had to contact Railway Modeller at least twice to get a 2nd copy sent out as the original hasn't arrived.

I'm interested if other people suffer from similar problems which may indicate a problem from the Railway Modeller end. If not it would suggest it's the Royal Mail probably at my dad's end.

This was happening before COVID so that is not solely the issue although i don't think it's helped over the last few months.

EDITED to add

His location is near Paisley.

Edited by WolfofBadenoch

I've subscribed since 1984. Never been a problem until December last year - the delay was due to a change in packaging (compostable plastic) causing an issue at the printers and occurred for the next 2 months. Then they reverted back to paper packaging but I still had delays. Then there was an IT glitch and I had to request another copy as I hadn't received the previous one, and the Lady said there had been several instances of that. The last two months it has arrived on time but the packaging was ripped, and even wet through last month, but in both cases the magazine had luckily survived intact, despite it hanging out of the envelope. I now believe they are going back to the plastic packaging!

• Thanks 1

Have been a subscriber for a fair time,only one instance of non delivery which was quickly resolved. Agree with the paper packaging,the last two issues have arrived with ripped covering and slightly soggy contents. Glad to hear of a possible return to plastic.

• Thanks 1

Not Railway Modeller but I had a similar issue with Model Rail regarding the packaging. The magazine itself was fine but the package was ripped to shreds with all the paraphernalia dropping out. Considering many of the magazines often have things such as DVDs or even kits included I don't think it's good enough.

I've also noticed they haven't had the option to buy a single issue since lockdown. I've bought a few that way over the last few years. I hope that option returns soon.

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is arriving here regular as clockwork.  The only problem is that the new plastic-free mailers (paper) aren't up to the job.

I would respectfully suggest that everyone getting a Railway Modeller in a ripped envelope emails PECO to complain.  They will eventually get the message about overloading the packet...

Les

I too live in Ontario Canada and am a recent subscriber having previously always bought at our local newsagent (Chapters here, equiv. to W.H.Smith in UK) .  My August issue arrived this week. My September issue arrived at the end of that month.  My copies  so far have all been in the new compostable potato starch type wrapping which so far seems to stand up well to the rigors of the journey and the mechanized sorting machines .   

My major concern is that my copies appear to be bulk shipped by Peco to Sweden !!! from where they are then mailed onward.  At least one also appeared to have a German postmark ...........  little wonder they take so long.  What will happen when Brexit fully hits I shudder to think.   Perhaps its time to switch to the electronic version although I have had this in the past and found I preferred the paper copies.

Alan
Burlington, Ontario

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, xliverpoollad said:

I too live in Ontario Canada and am a recent subscriber having previously always bought at our local newsagent (Chapters here, equiv. to W.H.Smith in UK) .  My August issue arrived this week. My September issue arrived at the end of that month.  My copies  so far have all been in the new compostable potato starch type wrapping which so far seems to stand up well to the rigors of the journey and the mechanized sorting machines .   

My major concern is that my copies appear to be bulk shipped by Peco to Sweden !!! from where they are then mailed onward.  At least one also appeared to have a German postmark ...........  little wonder they take so long.  What will happen when Brexit fully hits I shudder to think.   Perhaps its time to switch to the electronic version although I have had this in the past and found I preferred the paper copies.

Alan
Burlington, Ontario

That also happens to mine and i'm only across the Irish sea in Ireland. My printed copies usually arrive about 2 weeks after publication date. Must be a standard thing with magazine subscriptions if you are not in England.   A few years ago I had a subscription to Model Rail and it was a similar situation with the magazine  posted via another country. 

• 2 months later...

My print subscription copy has always arrived promptly but I haven’t received February yet . Definitely NOT complaining , they and Postie have done brilliantly in Covid . Is my experience unusual? I’ve got the on line   version but prefer tactile experience of good quality paper .

My January copy never arrived. Still waiting for February copy. I did view the January copy online but it's not the same as browsing a physical magazine.

Since they reverted to paper wrappers (following the short interlude of the compostable version) most issues have been delivered in a torn/battered state.

• RMweb Gold

I've just seen a lengthy local BBC news item about the pressures (including T&T) currently being experienced by our local posties..I think we need to recognise the pressure they are under. I thank mine whenever possible.

I appreciate our hobby and magazines keep us all sane (ish) but they are not in most cases a matter of life and death. Please be nice.

Chris

On 01/11/2020 at 08:43, irishmail said:

That also happens to mine and i'm only across the Irish sea in Ireland. My printed copies usually arrive about 2 weeks after publication date. Must be a standard thing with magazine subscriptions if you are not in England.   A few years ago I had a subscription to Model Rail and it was a similar situation with the magazine  posted via another country. 

Model Rail has never been posted from another country. The marking is simply the registered nationality of the international company doing the mailing. (CJL)

I have subscribed for many years with no problems in the various places i have lived. A word of warning, though - due to the IT problems at Peco they have not been sending out renewal reminders, so if the magazine hasn't arrived you may want to check with them whether the subscription has expired. I did so via the contact section on the web-site and had a prompt and helpful reply.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Start of my third year's subscription - no problems so far and the February issued arrived yesterday in its starch flavoured packing - no significant damage to the wrapper and the contents were fine despite being posted from Sweden (last month was Sweden AND France - but not delayed).

Cheers,

Philip

PS: Pre-Brexit, parcels were taking three days UK-FR despite being in the sticks! No complaints my end.

1 hour ago, Derekl said:

I have subscribed for many years with no problems in the various places i have lived. A word of warning, though - due to the IT problems at Peco they have not been sending out renewal reminders, so if the magazine hasn't arrived you may want to check with them whether the subscription has expired. I did so via the contact section on the web-site and had a prompt and helpful reply.

Thanks for the tip about checking with the subscription dept . I have just renewed my subscription so it might be a factor . However my digital copy has arrived so I think my subscription is still running .

Our Postie is excellent and we are on good terms . He refused my second Thank you bar of chocolate as he is now on a diet .