Technophobe Alert! - Which O Gauge Controller?

Ian, for O gauge you do not want cheap as the cheap ones tend not to have the power for O, I personally have a ROCO Z21 which can be easily upgraded and you are unlikely to need anything else. I have a friend that has an NCE powercab which is very good and can be recommended and is easy to use, and is approximately £100 cheaper than the Z21.

You will find DCC a steep learning curve but once you have used it especially with sound it’s a pleasure to use.

regards mike 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Mike - yes I run DCC in "OO" but only a basic DCC system as I am techni (phob) ally content with it - the whole controller issue seems confusing in "O" more power required due to the dual motors? I will only have one loco running at any time. Tower Models mentioned 5 amps and yes I think the Gauge shift will empty my retirement pot :blink:

Thanks

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

The current drawn by a loco is proportional to the power required and that is affected by the weight of the loco and how much it’s hauling. Although 5 amp systems are recommended for O  gauge, if you are only operating one loco with a light load then the current needed will be much less ( although dcc sound will also add a bit to the current requirement). Generally I would give it a go on your present system, if that doesn’t work you will have to look again at an upgrade but as noted there is no cheap shortcut if you need a 5 amp system. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

My system is NCE.  I did upgrade to the ProCab with 5A, but if you have a small layout and run a loco or two at the same time the basic 2A system will work.

I recently bought the Heljan Cl20 and Digitains were very helpful when I emailed them.  For Heljan you will likely need a new circuit board along with other kit:

ADAMKL Adaptor board for 21 pin MTC

860009 Stay Alive 6-20 secs

MX644C Sound Decoder 21 pin

SP 50X15X1 Slim Boom Box

ZS20ASL Class 20 Active Drive (replace with the sound file for your loco)

I haven't fitted the system yet - so many jobs to do when building a layout.

All but one of my locos has Zimo (the other has Loksound) and all are the standard decoder used for 00.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 1

• Crisis Rail changed the title to Technophobe Alert! - Which O Gauge Controller?

Ian I have several of the twin motor Heljans and not one draws more than 2amps and most between 0.5 and 1.8amps and have Zimo MX645R decoders. The current draw was measured with a multi meter on DC from a 12v car battery before deciding which decoder to use, the loco run light engine and against a buffer stop to measure the stall current but it is difficult to stall as most locos slip before they stall.

I think you will be able to use your EZ unit but you might be disappointed with the control of O gauge locos due mainly to the weight and momentum. I have tried the Hornby elink which I bought for an N gauge layout which it was able to control well but with my O gauge layout locos often hit the buffers as the unit appears to be slow to react when slowing locos, but that might be due to the computer interface.

Wish you well with your O gauge endeavour. I belong to the Gauge 0 Guild and I think it worth belonging to because of the knowledge base available from the members forum.

Regards mike 

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2020 at 18:15, Crisis Rail said:

I have the Baccy E-Z  (yes I know) am I led to believe I can just connect the E-Z 5 Amp booster?

I don't really see the Bachmann E Z Command Station as being particularly suitable for DCC sound.  Assuming we are talking about this https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/e-z-command®-control-centre/36-501 the specification states that it has 8 function buttons, which is a long way short of the 29 functions used by some sound projects.  Eight function buttons is enough for basic DCC decoders where you only need to turn lights on and off but you'll not be able to access all of the sounds on a decent DCC sound decoder using the Bachmann E Z Command Station.  I think you need to consider this before looking at Boosters.

I can't really recommend a Command Station because they are personal choice and I only have one, but I chose the Sig-na-trak ACE2 https://www.signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dcc-controller-accessories/dcs2044-ace-15-48 because it is relatively straightforward to use and all functions are accessible from a single menu.  Although I use it for 00, it is a 5 Amp system, so would be suitable for 0 gauge as well.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1