GWR 4-track station - operational queries

WillCav

Am I right in thinking that where a train was routed over a running junction, and there was just a single semaphore distant, this would remain at caution?

I am looking at one of the main to relief connections between Reading and Didcot which, I believe, had a 20mph limit.

Is this a movement where the train would have to be brought to a halt at each stop signal before being allowed to proceed over the junction?

Edited by Nick Gough
Added another question

Hi.

I think what the Stationmaster is trying to say is this....

I really like the

"What RMweb really needs is to get shot of the idiopt profanity filter and introduce a proper dumbo filter which automatically rejects nonsense on a sort of 'three strikes and you're out' (for ever)  basis but that would need an awful lot of AI to make the system do it instead of humans intervening. "

comment.

M.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Am I right in thinking that where a train was routed over a running junction, and there was just a single semaphore distant, this would remain at caution?

I am looking at one of the main to relief connections between Reading and Didcot which, I believe, had a 20mph limit.

Is this a movement where the train would have to be brought to a halt at each stop signal before being allowed to proceed over the junction?

Not exactly.  If the train was booked to cross at a particular junction the relevant stop signals would be cleared in advance but obviously the distant would remain at caution - even on the various 40 mph running junctions.  The only places I know of where a splitting distant was cleared for a running junction move - assuming it could be cleared with all the stop signals off - was Didcot East Junction and Old Oak Common West although at the latter the signals were colour lights giving semaphore like colour indications.  Both of these were places where there was a running junction closely associated with a physical junction.  Lapworth had a splitting distant in the Down direction for the double to quadruple track junction (but not for the running junction at the other end of the station.

Unless the Signal Box Special Instructions granted a specific exception in instances where a train was not booked to cross over the stop signals would only be cleared once the train was approaching and seen to be reducing speed ready to stop at the relevant signal.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1