Etched Chassis kits (and upgrading a model)

alexl102

I've just been reading a thread in another section about upgrading an Austerity tank with an etched chassis from RT Models and the correct wheels from Alan Gibson. As an inexperienced modeller, how easy would it be to do this with a Hornby 'Harry' Austerity? I imagine one would build the chassis and then fit the existing loco's motor and the new wheels, then add the body on - is it that simple? Is building the RT models chassis hard?

Also, they seem to do kits for various locos that aren't available RTR... could I for example buy a battered Hornby austerity as a motor donor, and fit that motor to an RT Models Manning Wardle brass kit that I built or something like that, or would I have to buy a motor specific to the kit?

I'm about to assemble my first Parkside rolling stock kit - that's my level if it helps!

alexl102

I have not built one of these chassis but looking at the online instructions it leans to being one of the easier ones to make, as the spacers  have tabs.

You will need at least a set of Hornblock alignment axles/jigs. These help align the axle bearings to the coupling rods and are quite cheap.

Comet sell a simple frame assembly jig. Better still is a Poppys chassis jig which comes with the hornblock jigs but increases the cost a lot

Using Romford/Markit or the cheaper Scaleway wheels may be easier to use as they self quarter

I would use a simple High Level gearbox, High Level also sell inexpensive motors

A 1/8" reamer is useful, as are a cheap set of brooches

The first chassis will cost the most as you may have to buy tools and jigs but many will be useful in other areas, and most last a life time

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Hi if you need inspiration Ruston did this very conversion recently, as below. I agree as above that you are better with new 'works' and just keep the Hornby/Dapol body.

Cheers - this was the thread that got me thinking!

I have built an RT chassis to go with a Hornby, ex-Dapol body and would suggest that if you've never re-chassis'd anything RTR before this is probably not the one to start with.   Nothing wrong with RT's chassis.  The problem is the body.

If you havent already done so, you will discover when you take it apart that the body is a strangely convoluted thing with umpteen screws holding numerous bits and pieces together.  It's far more complicated than it needs to be and while simplifying and improving things (especially getting rid of that hideous join twixt the saddle tanks upper three-quarters and lower quarter and, while you're at it, producing a proper boiler underside to replace the strange thing the manufacturers provide) is not particularly difficult it's something you can do without if you are already entering the uncharted territory of building an etched chassis.

If you want a finescale Austerity the thing to do is find an old Airfix kit body and mount that on the RT chassis.  Not only is the Airfix body more accurate than the Dapol/Hornby version, it is far more user friendly and far cheaper. My Dapol/Hornby Austerity cost me £56.00 and about all I've retained is approx £5.60's worth of plastic.  Close to the top of my 'to do' list is another one based on an Airfix kit that cost me just £10.00.  The Austerity is one of the few kits that didnt make the transfer from Airfix to Dapol (the masters were damaged in a fire) but they are still available.

Oh yes. Don't re-use the original RTR motor in any loco you re-chassis.  A High Level gearbox and either a Mashima or a Matsumi motor is the way to go.

Edited by mike morley
  • Agree 2

“could I for example buy a battered Hornby austerity as a motor donor, and fit that motor to an RT Models Manning Wardle brass kit that I built or something like that, or would I have to buy a motor specific to the kit?”

Not a good idea. The Manning Wardle has very specific needs both in terms of motor and drive train. IIRC the instructions for the kit are downloadable from RT’s website. They are worth a read before purchase, definitely not the kit to start with but still a nice kit for a versatile prototype.

Cheers,

David

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, alexl102 said:

Thank you everyone. You’ve been very helpful. Think I will stick to my Parkside kits for now to hone my assembly skills; I may come back to this at a later stage. 

Why not try a whitemetal wagon kit first, then a couple of small etched kits, even trying  an accessory ot two, as said its just a small step up and a case honing your skills and building up your tools. Having said this some people have a knack of jumping into the deep end and succeeding

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Have a look at Corbs "of this parish" Railway Mania 3D printed Kits, he is also on facebook. He and Adam FW sell a very nice printed kit for an Avonside 0-6-0t to fit the Hornby 0-6-0 Pecket chassis. Ruston has done the build of one on his thread.

9 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Have a look at Corbs "of this parish" Railway Mania 3D printed Kits, he is also on facebook. He and Adam FW sell a very nice printed kit for an Avonside 0-6-0t to fit the Hornby 0-6-0 Pecket chassis. Ruston has done the build of one on his thread.

The problem then is you* are still held back by using whatever RTR chassis is available.

If you learn to solder a simple Comet chassis kit or similar then the world is your oyster. 

Then you could build all the RT, Judith Edge, High Level, CSP, etc. kits that you want.

*I'm using "you" meaning anyone not you individually.

Jason

• Agree 2

Cheers! I do want to have a go at a Hardy's Hobbies Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 kit at some point. Don't mind that some people consider it 'not real modelling' or that it requires an RTR chassis - as a Leeds lad I really want some Leeds-built industrial locos and I really like the models Hardy's have produced.

I hadn't thought about doing etched kits of wagons so I'll take a look.Thanks!