Wiring a double slip

Kallaroonian

I see from the Peco instructions that they suggest connecting all track ends to adjacent rails using insulated joiners.

I can't see why that is necessary. The two long outer rails will always be the same polarity and so clearly their ends would be joined via normal fishplates?

I have a long ladder on my layout comprising several slips in a row. Each slip will be utilising an output from an ADS8 decoder with the frogs switched accordingly and the adjacent rails joined with a combination of insulated and normal fishplates per above.

That should be fine? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I think the instructions cover a DC layout where there are different switchable sections. May also cover DCC where you might have multiple boosters. On my layout with a single DCC booster, I have used IRJs only on the frog rails, and on those outer rails where required due to connection to other turnouts.

Edited by RFS

7 hours ago, Kallaroonian said:

I see from the Peco instructions that they suggest connecting all track ends to adjacent rails using insulated joiners.

I can't see why that is necessary. The two long outer rails will always be the same polarity and so clearly their ends would be joined via normal fishplates?

I have a long ladder on my layout comprising several slips in a row. Each slip will be utilising an output from an ADS8 decoder with the frogs switched accordingly and the adjacent rails joined with a combination of insulated and normal fishplates per above.

That should be fine? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

No, you should be fine as you are.

Outer rails connected to adjacent rails and only the frogs insulating joiners and switched.

Best of luck.

Dave

• Agree 1

On 14/10/2020 at 19:08, dasatcopthorne said:

No, you should be fine as you are.

Outer rails connected to adjacent rails and only the frogs insulating joiners and switched.

Best of luck.

Dave

I have just realised there could be a problem here. Where I said outer rails joined to adjacent rails, this doesn't work if any adjacent rail is a switched frog. If it it you will need an insulating joiner here.

Sorry.

Dave.