Locomotives used on the Cumbrian Coast route in the mid 60’s, both steam and diesel

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

As much as I’m enjoying building my modern era layout based on Heckington with the help of some great friends, the layout was designed to be portable because I had originally planned to possibly take it on the exhibition circuit, so I’m now thinking of building second, more permanent layout and the Cumbrian Coast line springs to mind.  

As it’s supposed to be set between Barrow and Whitehaven, in the mid 60’s and I was wondering what loco’s (both steam and diesel) could be found working along the line.  Also, would anyone know what type of services they ran along the line or we’re passenger services now in the hands of DMU’s?

I assume because the last of steam could be found in the Cumbria area, black 5’s, 8f’s BR standards were the usual motive power?  As for diesels, the obvious one’s are Class 28’s Co-Bo’s and Class 25’s but would Class 17 Clayton’s run along the line as I’ve seen them on Carnforth, probably waiting for a steam loco to tow it away :P.

Any help would be most welcome.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Like 2

For diesels, you can  certainly have classes  08, 12, 17, 25, 28, 40 and 47, with class 31s appearing  in the 1970s.  As for steam, Black 5s, more Black 5s, 'Flying pig' 2-6-0 4MTs, 4Fs, 8Fs, even more Black 5s & Britannias  (other classes such as the last of the rebuilt FR 0-6-0s,  LYR 0-6-0s,  2Ps, 2-6-0 2MTs and various LMS 2-6-4Ts were seen on the Cumbrian coast until the mid-1950s). 

The Cumbrian coast line was very much run as two sections centred on Workington, with long-distance south-bound services (including to London) and north-bound local services to Carlisle, so when you factor in Barrow as well, you've got scope for some substantive passenger services, not to mention the heavy freight traffic (predominantly coal, steel, chemicals and early nuclear) that was still present in the 1960s.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

When I knew the area in 65-67, a lot of the interesting steam was actually inland, in places like Cleator Moor, Egremont, and Beckermet, (which of course were freight only by then) rather than on the coast line itself. But you could still get pulled by steam at least in 65, 66 - Black Five Seascale to Barrow sticks in my memory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, w124bob said:

Have a look here at the Carlisle Kingmoor roster, scroll down to the late 60's to see what might have appeared . In 1967 Kingmoor had 7 Claytons on the books http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=125 

Or use the brdatabase snapshot facility: http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=snap&id=125

The following flickr album by David Quayle contains quite a few images of both steam and diesel operating around the Cumbrian coast (including quite a few at Workington depot):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16236990@N08/albums/72157608177268125/page1

One I was quite taken with features 8F 48113 operating a flask train through Seascale in July 1965

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16236990@N08/2954422145/in/album-72157608177268125/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve just acquired a Hornby Clan (72008 Clan Macleod) which was a Kingmoor engine.  Would they be used on the Cumbrian coast route, even on local trains?  I’m thinking of getting one of Hornby’s BR standard 2MT 2-6-0 78xxx and wondered if they were used on the line as well?

I doubt that Clans would have been used on the northern (M&C) section of the coast line as Royal scots and Black 5s seem to have been largest engines used between Carlisle and Workington. Britannias were used south of Workington and so a Clan would be a possibility but I've never seen any photographic or other evidence for the use of the latter on the coastal route. Ivatt 2MTs and 4MT 2-6-0s were used between Carlisle and Workington [there are photos of both in the mid-1950s in 'London Midland steam around Carlisle'] and Standard 2MTs were ten a penny in Cumberland in the 1950s and 1960s !

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2020 at 20:07, Phil Bullock said:

Most definitely Claytons ... and there’s a picture somewhere of a pair  on a 4 Coach passenger train leaving Cark and Cartmel. 

Ah .... it’s in the RCTS Class 17 gallery, for some reason this IPad won’t let me post a link