Dublo/Wrenn 0-6-0 chassis - rewheeling

97xx

Am contemplating rewheeling an 0-6-0 chassis which is the basis for my K's Bodyline 97xx. Yes, I appreciate it's wrong wheelbase etc., but I'm not going to scratchbuild and the body 'matches' the chassis.

The plan is Romfords plus Mainly Trains rods. And probably Romford deluxe crankpins.

The slightly too high ride height will be cured with the Romfords.

I may need to mill the chassis a little behind front and rear wheelsets to ensure it navigates 2' min radius with all flanged - unless anyone can tell me it will work anyway?

My specific question is: I was planning to use TWO sets of MT rods, cut and rivet them to give one articulated set. Has anyone does this? Is it necessary? Or do the deluxe crankpins give enough sideplay?

I'm curious as to whether articulated rods will improve or worsen running quality? Hence my question whether really needed...

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I can sort of help here ! Whilst I didn't use my dublo chassis under 97xx keyser kits, perfering to use Bachman pannier chassis, but I have used quite happily the rods as supplyed under the wills U1 kit with all the romfords retaining flanges and under the triang chassied cardeen kit.

I did ponder doubling up the thickness of the rods but didn't! The thinness doses allow flexibility to the wheel sets to go around curves,which doubling the thickness night not, but then to my eyes they look to thin coupling rods are not that thin in real life more like something that would scale out at around one millimetre  being three or four inches thick approx! (Haveing to remember as I haven't had the real thing go past the back garden for nine months!

Edited by Graham456

I've got a re-wheeled Wrenn chassis going spare if anyone wants it. It's a good runner, has Romford wheels fitted and has hardly had any use. I used to body to fit on an etched chassis.