R6960 MGR Hopper

scottrains29

I recently purchased the R6960 MGR wagon and noticed a few differences to my other wagons and wondered if anyone knows if it is accurate for this particular wagon.

Firstly, it has a TOPS code HAA but has a canopy/hood. Is this correct? I would have thought it should be HBA, HFA, HMA, etc.

Secondly, the airbrake gear (I think that's what it is) fitted on one end above the chassis is different to that fitted to other Hornby HBA's. It looks like the type fitted to the CDA china clay wagon. Is this correct or has Hornby made a mistake?

The model has the newer style overhead warning flashes so I presume it's based on a more recent example. The pre-production image on the Hornby website for R6960 actually shows an HBA with the standard HBA brake gear. I wonder if the factory has made a mistake.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, scottrains29 said:

I wonder if the factory has made a mistake.

Quite possible. The last muck up with these MGR hoppers was when railroad ones were produced and boxed as the superdetail ones. 

I was delighted with this wagon coded HAA. I just removed the canopy and distributor, and voila, I had another red frame HAA to add to the rake................

Then Cavalex came and put the cat among the pigeons. I suddenly had a big decision to make. Then Accurascale joined in. Double trouble. Do I stick with the Hornby’s? Go Cavalex or Accurascale? I think I shall wait to see how wowed I am by both newbies. Then decide. 

Edited by 66738
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 66738 said:

I was delighted with this wagon coded HAA. I just removed the canopy and distributor, and voila, I had another red frame HAA to add to the rake................

Then Cavalex came and put the cat among the pigeons. I suddenly had a big decision to make. Then Accurascale joined in. Double trouble. Do I stick with the Hornby’s? Go Cavalex or Accurascale? I think I shall wait to see how wowed I am by both newbies. Then decide. 

I've asked this question elsewhere, but what is so wrong with the re-tooled Hornby wagon that would make you want to spend more money on a new entrant to the market?, it's a choice only you can make.

Mike.

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've asked this question elsewhere, but what is so wrong with the re-tooled Hornby wagon that would make you want to spend more money on a new entrant to the market?, it's a choice only you can make.

Mike.

To be honest, ignoring the incorrect buffers, I thought the updated MGR was alright. 
I still do TBH. I’ll wait to see both arrive and make my decision then.

Definitely going to update my future Cornish layout (One day I will get around to it) ECC CDA’s though. Hornby’s attempt at the retractable roof is woeful. 

On 15/10/2020 at 11:25, scottrains29 said:

I recently purchased the R6960 MGR wagon and noticed a few differences to my other wagons and wondered if anyone knows if it is accurate for this particular wagon.

Firstly, it has a TOPS code HAA but has a canopy/hood. Is this correct? I would have thought it should be HBA, HFA, HMA, etc.

Secondly, the airbrake gear (I think that's what it is) fitted on one end above the chassis is different to that fitted to other Hornby HBA's. It looks like the type fitted to the CDA china clay wagon. Is this correct or has Hornby made a mistake?

The model has the newer style overhead warning flashes so I presume it's based on a more recent example. The pre-production image on the Hornby website for R6960 actually shows an HBA with the standard HBA brake gear. I wonder if the factory has made a mistake.

You didn't provide a photo of the modei. If it is 352741 then yes it (like all others) was an HAA in August 1985

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaatopskip/ea107751

The only period when the top capes were identified separately was originally when they were HOP32AB vers HOP AB for the main type. HDA came in 1992, HBA later (being a reuse of the code) and many at that time were new conversions.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Informative/Useful 2