Trainsporters Storage Boxes

petejones

• RMweb Premium

That looks exceedingly like a "Really Useful" 20 litre Box with a Foam insert fitted.

https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b20_0litre.php

The Foam inserts by shopping around on the bay of E , would probably cost around £10 per box, but then you'd have to cut the foam to fit yourself..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That looks exceedingly like a "Really Useful" 20 litre Box with a Foam insert fitted.

https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b20_0litre.php

The Foam inserts by shopping around on the bay of E , would probably cost around £10 per box, but then you'd have to cut the foam to fit yourself..

FabFoam sheets are a lot easier to cut and not as thick allowing more stock to be fitted in the RUB.

There are threads elsewhere on stock storage showing this and other cheaper options.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Yes you can make your own for less. I started doing just that but after three boxes gave up and spent the cash, prefering to spend my time modelling and running trains rather than spending hours cutting card and foam to make custom boxes for my various rakes.

Each to their own!

Steven B.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Yes you can make your own for less. I started doing just that but after three boxes gave up and spent the cash, prefering to spend my time modelling and running trains rather than spending hours cutting card and foam to make custom boxes for my various rakes.

Each to their own!

Steven B.

I've got about 30, all hand cut Fabfoam liner strips, about 5 minutes work per box, but then I am a Yorkshireman.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

The storage boxes arrived today. Yep, they are 20L RUBs (cost £12.50 direct from the RUB web site), but the pre-cut foam is what I purchased them for and it's good quality stuff. Compared to the foam trays from Ten Commandments (5 slots for £18 and no plastic box, compared to 10 slots and a 20L box from Trainsporters for £30), these are good value for money.

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

Thank you for the feedback on this thread.

As a founding member of the Trainsporters company, I thought I ought to share with you the premise for the design of our boxes and the unexpected success we have had with our designs.

Firstly, I don't disagree with any of your comments, I think they all have their own merit.

Some of you might be familiar with the Hillingdon Railway Modellers, Grindley Brook O gauge layout.  As members of that club and in a supporting role for the O Gauge group at exhibitions, my fellow founders Carl and Tony, had witnessed the frustration of the team when unpacking and packing rolling stock from individual boxes.  To relieve the stress of those O gauge members that were assembling and disassembling their train formations, we decided to provide an O gauge version of the excellent designs from Ten Commandments and others from the OO gauge fraternity.  Over a period of months, we perfected the design until the O gauge group were happy and then provided the boxes for them to use.  To our surprise many of the members also used them as permanent storage solutions for their rolling stock and for some, even their loco’s. 

Because we also have relationships with a number of other clubs, we had offered these designs to them for review and before we knew where we were, they took a liking to them and as they say, the rest is history!  That gave birth to Trainsporters and our growing group of followers.  The feedback so far suggests that our designs are fit for purpose and as correctly pointed out these are based on 20L and 33L Really Useful Product items, we make no secret of that.  One, they are very good products and equally important, they are Made in Britain.  Importantly the choice of these products was for the purpose of safe transportation of stock in a robust, stackable and waterproof housing hence our name Trainsporters.  Our secret sauce is the inserts, and we have tried to supply a variety of designs to suit most needs, we also recently introduced our OO gauge range to support that community, of which Carl, Tony and I are avid members.

In the future we are hoping to supply complete train sets, which is why we choose ten slots for the OO gauge boxes, so that we could support a complete set of HST formations for example.  This would also allow us to bring the best of brands together to give people the benefit of the best stock and locomotives from different manufacturers in the same train set.  Obviously, we are at a very early stage of our development and your feedback is warmly welcomed.  The idea of offering just the inserts, is one that we will review carefully.  However, because of the precision cutting of our products we are not sure that we could offer that at a price that would allow people to buy their own boxes and couple them with our inserts at a cost effective price.  Especially as the whole package includes protective sleaving for each of the slots and moisture absorbing silica gel sachets.

If you would like to know more or have any enquires please do not hesitate to contact us directly through our web site or Facebook pages, simply do a search for Trainsporters and that will bring you straight to our door.

Once again thank you and please keep your feedback coming, we really do appreciate it.

Very best regards,

Mark.

One of the Box Boys!

Edited by mdcronin
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I would up the mention of R.U.B. as they are a very good product.

Also offer without boxes as some of us have quite a few already.

10l are good for 4mm I get a loco and rake in them, provided not Mark 3, inserts for those would probably sell well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hadn’t heard of those until now, certainly a better way of taking all my stock to exhibitions. At present the stock travels in the original boxes and usually something gets a bit of minor damage and its difficult to know if something has gone missing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

Just to let you know that if you have any more questions, comments or suggestions, we have two Q&A sessions at the Guild O Gauge virtual exhibition coming up this weekend, Saturday 31st October 2020 at 12:30 and 15:30 for 30 mins each slot.  Please feel free to stop by our virtual stand and chat to Carl and I.  Information about the show can be found here https://www.gaugeoguild.com along with a timetable of events for the day.

Very best regards,

Mark.

One of the Box Boys!

Edited by mdcronin

• RMweb Premium

I ordered three of the 00 boxes which arrived earlier this morning.

I must say I’m delighted with them. So much better than my current arrangement of a Really Useful Box the same size as three of Trainsporters boxes, stuffed full of models in their original boxes, which is too heavy to carry comfortably.  

The Trainsporters boxes are far more professionally made than the vast majority of folk could produce themselves. Three layers of foam, clear plastic sleeves to put each model in, gel sachets to absorb any moisture and labels to say what is in each one.

I have no connection with Trainsporters other than as a happy customer.  I’ll be ordering another three next pay day.

The only question is, what do I do with the original boxes my stock came in?

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I Just wanted to let you all know that following your feedback on this thread, Trainsporters are now supplying foam only inserts as well as the complete boxes.  Thank you all very much for your advice.

Very best regards,

Mark.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Just a bit of personal feedback...................

I have approx 350 items of HO rolling stock to take to exhibitions. I then have to unpack them and set them up in the fiddle yard. It usually takes about 2 hours.

Over the last few years I have made 55 storage boxes for my stock, coaches 5 per box, wagons usually 10 per box. The 55 boxes then packed in 19 bigger boxes, three at a time

One 19 coach train (yes, 19 coaches!) needed 4 of my storage boxes - three boxes all together inside one of the bigger boxes and the last box of 4 coaches packed away in another random box which was difficult to track down in the rush to set trains up - the designated loco was packed away in yet another big box and had to be looked for separately. Moreover, the coaches only couple if set out EXACTLY in the correct order - they are VERY close coupled. At the recent Tolworth show my inexperienced team got all the boxes out in the wrong order and so the coaches wouldn't stay coupled properly and absolute chaos reined.

So, I experimented by buying two 10 slot OO boxes. 

The 19 coaches are pre-packed in exactly the right order and now I can include the loco as well. At the next exhibition even the most inexperienced team member will have the complete train, in exactly the right order and will not have to search around for the right loco for the job. In this photo, we start with the generator car at the bottom of the l/h box and work upwards, then continue up the r/h box and finally the loco. 

IMG_20211129_151753.jpg.a7c2abf44b1a61224d769f9cd018e67b.jpg

It saves a lot of time and is easy to keep the whole train together

I am extremely happy. When you have as much stock as we have to set out, anything which speeds up the setting out and putting away is a great bonus.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your feedback.  We are really pleased to hear how much time this will save you and any formation confusion this might save.  Your pictures show the product off perfectly, when and where is your next show?

Best regards,

Mark, Carl and Tony,

From trainsporters.com aka The Box Boys

13 hours ago, mdcronin said:

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your feedback.  We are really pleased to hear how much time this will save you and any formation confusion this might save.  Your pictures show the product off perfectly, when and where is your next show?

Best regards,

Mark, Carl and Tony,

From trainsporters.com aka The Box Boys

Erith (January) , Glasgow (February) , London (March).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mdcronin said:

The most important issue with regards getting the stock out (and back) as quickly as possible is that it allows us more time in the pub. My team is spread all around the country and we only see each other at shows and so if we can cut an hour off setting up time, then that's an extra hour in the pub!

• Like 2