Quick update for a Airfix Fowler 4F.

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

I have now finished this loco.

A very nice upgrade. I like the Airfix engines, the tender drives seem happy on my tight curves where other conventional chassis creak and groan their way around.

I have two of them, one I got in a charity shop, one I already had in non-running condition minus cab and smokebox front, but after a lot of work all I have left to do for both of them is to replace three missing buffers and find out why one of them will only run forwards, not backwards.

4 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

Yes, but looking at the firebox and cab, I have a feeling the way ahead here would be the James chassis and tender drive, and a Triang B12 body... Annoying, I have the opposite, the James body, and a B12 chassis and tender.

If i have a Belpaire box, i get a really coarse file and shave off the corners, pack out with card and P38 body filler, smooth with a wet/dry sand block. Fit old Jinty wheels to your chassis and pack the body up. I would saw the B12 tender in thrice and pack out to length if it was all i had or the good old Princess tender cut down with added raves and greedy boards!

1 hour ago, Londontram said:

That would work with it being tender drive you've got a lot more Lee way with lining up everything and getting the rods to run freely than if it was loco driven yes I think that would work very well. One question. Just remind me even though it's tender driven does the loco have any flangless wheel? 

4F model, all flanged. Same with the real 7F, all flanged. Get the Dremel out and reduce a set if your curves are tight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamsRadial said:

A very nice upgrade. I like the Airfix engines, the tender drives seem happy on my tight curves where other conventional chassis creak and groan their way around.

I have two of them, one I got in a charity shop, one I already had in non-running condition minus cab and smokebox front, but after a lot of work all I have left to do for both of them is to replace three missing buffers and find out why one of them will only run forwards, not backwards.

Brushes may have developed a lip and can catch in a high spot on the commutator where it has predominantly run forwards also, the pick-ups could have worn down and catch in the rims/spokes (common on old Tri-ang jintys). Failing that, i go back to basics, pick-up, wire ,motor in, motor out wire, pick-up. Then test forward/back. If that works, discard everything else! Some of the birds nests i've taken out of loco's have given me enough wire to fill a Bisto pot!!

3 hours ago, Londontram said:

That would work with it being tender drive you've got a lot more Lee way with lining up everything and getting the rods to run freely than if it was loco driven yes I think that would work very well. One question. Just remind me even though it's tender driven does the loco have any flangless wheel? 

Hi Londontram.

All the wheels on the 4F including the tender have flanges.

• Thanks 1