The Peaks

slilley

Group members will be interested to hear that contracts have been exchanged with Crecy for a book covering the Class 44s, 45s, and 46s which all being well will be due out around the summer of 2023.  The usual caveats notwithstanding.

It will cover all three types from inception through to the present day.

It will be around 80,000 words long and have about 200 or so pictures. Needless to say I may well be asking a few questions on here to make sure I get things as correct as possible.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I'm under strict instructions not to open it until Christmas.

Are you trying to say you're not even allowed to do a "quality control check"?

Oh well, I'm sure you'll enjoy the book even more in a couple of months' time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

In view of people round here generally liking trains, I can't imagine too many of us wanting too many photos of 46009's last run ... .

46009's last run went really well, it was the method employed to bring it to a halt that was the problem! :O RIP D146.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

In view of people round here generally liking trains, I can't imagine too many of us wanting too many photos of 46009's last run ... .

It will be covered of course and it is inevitable that at least one picture will be included. I do take your point though.

• Thanks 1

This year I have purchased the source book for  North British class 21 and 29,  and the source book for  the class 28 CoBo,  I look forward to a source book on the Peaks.

Among  young spotters,  it was a rite of passage to have  Scafell Pike underlined in the Ian Allan Combo ,  the number D1  possessing  a certain  aura over other diesel numbers.

Edited by Pandora

13 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Are you trying to say you're not even allowed to do a "quality control check"?

Oh well, I'm sure you'll enjoy the book even more in a couple of months' time.

I've checked all the pages are there Huw. I've also just got the new "Blue Pullman" book and that's got to wait until Christmas too...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pandora said:

This year I have purchased the source book for  North British class 21 and 29,  and the source book for  the class 28 CoBo,  I look forward to a source book on the Peaks.

Among  young spotters,  it was a rite of passage to have  Scafell Pike underlined in the Ian Allan Combo ,  the number D1  possessing  a certain  aura over other diesel numbers.

have you got the new book on the Class 33s? The Class 33s A Sixty Year History available from Crecy?

On 17/10/2020 at 11:07, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I've checked all the pages are there Huw. I've also just got the new "Blue Pullman" book and that's got to wait until Christmas too...

Hey Peter,
Have you looked at the bit I wrote about you yet?
Regards Mike

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas...

All I've done is checked the pagination. 

Anyway, I'm currently trying to restore a "proper" Midland Pullman carriage interior door, ie Midland Railway c1900, not this jumped-up modern 1960s stuff...

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium
On 17/10/2020 at 08:37, Neil Phillips said:

46009's last run went really well, it was the method employed to bring it to a halt that was the problem! :O RIP D146.....

That was the first thing I recorded on my newly purchased VCR. It happened to come up on the news and the only tape I had was the 30 minute tape that come with it.

No idea what happened to it. The tape I mean, I know what happened to the loco!

On 22/10/2020 at 14:02, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Hello Mike,

I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas...

All I've done is checked the pagination. 

Anyway, I'm currently trying to restore a "proper" Midland Pullman carriage interior door, ie Midland Railway c1900, not this jumped-up modern 1960s stuff...

Regards,

Peter

Good luck with the door. 
Remember the Blue Pullman is old to me...ha!ha!

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to give people an update on progress with this book. The research has gone well so far, plenty of interesting material has fallen out of the National Archives at Kew and the NRM, and indeed elsewhere.

On the writing side, over 70,000 words are now in the can so to speak, with a good few more to be put in over the comig weeks.I am at the stage of finishing sections and chapters and cross-checking key details. Also made good progress with pictures, though there are a few that I am still after. I may well put a list on this thread once am certain I have exhausted existing opportunities.

The aim is to have the whole package to Crecy the publisher either late December this year, or early in January 2023, so publication is likely to be by the summer of 2023 provided all goes smoothly with proofs and few gremlins creep in unseen.

Once I have details on how to buy the book, exact size in terms of pages, and the cost I will post a further update.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

Just to give you another quick progress update. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were able to spend a Sunday morning at Swanwick Junction looking over the Peaks there taking detail pictures inside and out.

The text has moved on since my last post and almost 85,000 words down on paper now.All being well it will get to the publsihers in January and be ready by the Spring of next year.

Simon 

• Like 5