Blackford to Gleneagles

Clagmeister

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Yes, thats Glen Devon although some seem to call it Gleneagles. Aiming at this anyway.20210219_074051.jpg.6c8490ab99b4123db4aad1cf5b3de421.jpg

image.png.57b3970a8edf46990a13ea55a0d581d8.pngI think that is because the lower glen is Glen Eagles which then leads up into Glen Devon.  There is a Glen Eagles House, quite separate and different from

the more well known Gleneagles Hotel.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are lots of colour pictures of this location in the Verden Andersen and Keith Pirt books all of which I am sure you have seen. It seems to have been a favourite location with both of them.

I do remember a book somewhere with 4 pictures of just this location , one for each season. i will dig it out later!

You must be pleased to be underway after waiting for the shed to complete.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, David Bell said:

There are lots of colour pictures of this location in the Verden Andersen and Keith Pirt books all of which I am sure you have seen. It seems to have been a favourite location with both of them.

I do remember a book somewhere with 4 pictures of just this location , one for each season. i will dig it out later!

You must be pleased to be underway after waiting for the shed to complete.

Cheers

David

Absolutely.  Chuffed to get all this clutter out of my head and into reality, then i can dispense with.  Thanks about the pics and books.

8 hours ago, scottystitch said:

now then, that’s not too shabby is it?  I think that’s going to work pretty well. 

Best

Scott. 

Not too shabby at all! It is such a recognisable location, I always glance across on the drive South. (Not that I have done that for a while!)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Curve going in and applying a 3mm cant.  Probably a little too much, but want it sort of visible.

20210219_105525.jpg

Hi Mike,

Have you firmly attached the frame of the layout to the side of the shed ?  If you have, I would suggest that is a bad plan and it may cause the layout to warp should the shed be subject to atmospheric conditions especially humidity, It may be better that there is a form of expansion to allow for movement.

On another subject 3mm of cant scales at 18", less is more as you well know.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.

18 inches over over full track bed width isn't too bad.  If its 30 ft wide then the cant per track is a shade under 2 inches unless i have my sums wrong.

Shed should be ok, double skinned and insulated, I think some movement is to be expected, hopefully not too much though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

18 inches over over full track bed width isn't too bad.  If its 30 ft wide then the cant per track is a shade under 2 inches unless i have my sums wrong.

Shed should be ok, double skinned and insulated, I think some movement is to be expected, hopefully not too much though.

Hi Mike,

I took it that your figure for elevation was per track not across the entire formation, in which case that will look the business. Super elevation is something rarely modelled and makes all the difference to the look of curved track. It is also good to see a stretch of model railway with a smooth curve instead of a long straight with corners at the end.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sums were wrong, never do maths late at night, its a shade under 3 inches I think.  360/18 is 20. 

56/20 is 2.8.  Is that correct?

I think thats still ok for a real 90mph curve. However, I calculate the real radius of this curve on the big railway would be 220 yards which I think would limit it to around 30 mph. 

On 19/02/2021 at 11:08, scottystitch said:

image.png.57b3970a8edf46990a13ea55a0d581d8.pngI think that is because the lower glen is Glen Eagles which then leads up into Glen Devon.  There is a Glen Eagles House, quite separate and different from

the more well known Gleneagles Hotel.

Best

Scott.

Glen Eagles leads from the railway up to the watershed. Glen Devon is over the watershed (draining the Glendevon Reservoirs) and the road enters it where it starts turning east. Great cycling road!

Your backscene is great - did you do it yourself?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

Glen Eagles leads from the railway up to the watershed. Glen Devon is over the watershed (draining the Glendevon Reservoirs) and the road enters it where it starts turning east. Great cycling road!

Your backscene is great - did you do it yourself?

No, it was done by ID backscenes.  Brilliant service via a site that hosts the picture files.  Adhesive and not that expensive.

• Thanks 1

The vast variety of motive power that traversed you chosen bit of real estate is amazing. I see you and Scott covered a lot of ground earlier in the thread. A recent trawl through a couple of books noted 2 rebuilt Patriots, 45227 Southport (on the up fish train in 1964)and 45530 formerly Sir Frank Ree in 1965. A picture of City of Chester on the up fish in 1964 also pretty impressive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Bell said:

The vast variety of motive power that traversed you chosen bit of real estate is amazing. I see you and Scott covered a lot of ground earlier in the thread. A recent trawl through a couple of books noted 2 rebuilt Patriots, 45227 Southport (on the up fish train in 1964)and 45530 formerly Sir Frank Ree in 1965. A picture of City of Chester on the up fish in 1964 also pretty impressive.

The variety of motive power, the fantastic location and the fact that its pretty much unchanged are what tempted me into the location.  The UP Grampian in the afternoon should pass around about here with the Crewe-Perth.  In this world it will be A4/A2/V2 passing Coronation/Brit, such a rare thing.

Thanks for the loco details, a couple of Jubs is next on the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clagmeister said:

Merlin heads for Aberdeen and approaches the 3 arch bridge at the end of the cutting before Gleneagles.

The view from what will be the bridge near Peterhead Farm.

20210221_181852.jpg.96bc11927c27fd38fe30de9f5f3f1a5b.jpg

Hi Mike,

Leaning into the curve nicely there, your super elevation effect has worked well which is just as well or you would have looked a right cant.

Gibbo.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1