Blackford to Gleneagles

Clagmeister

Getting the basic geographical form in place. Using old school news papers and wall paper paste.  Reminds me of modelling in the 1980! It is very good at developing the correct form.

Taken from Muirhouse cottages, past bog wood, then over Peterhead farm and to the 3 arch bridge beyond.

Meanwhile a V2 heads a class C towards Perth.

20210222_120422.jpg.cf0434aedc6b0d5ba0b42bf560d61f5f.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Getting the basic geographical form in place. Using old school news papers and wall paper paste.  Reminds me of modelling in the 1980! It is very good at developing the correct form.

Taken from Muirhouse cottages, past bog wood, then over Peterhead farm and to the 3 arch bridge beyond.

Meanwhile a V2 heads a class C towards Perth.

20210222_120422.jpg.cf0434aedc6b0d5ba0b42bf560d61f5f.jpg

Hi Mike

Call yourself a professional railway man, there is not a tail lamp on that train.

More seriously would it not be possible to put the back scene on a curved board so that it does not run to a corner ?

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Can't get good guards at Balornock these days!

The guard is the man who rides in the van,

The van at the back of the train,

The driver up front thinks the guard is a [superelevated curve]

And the guard thinks the driver's the same.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Tudor Minstrel heads for home on a Glasgow-Dundee service. Relatively happy now with the geographical form and added a farm building at Peterhead for reference.

The previous post is what i'm eventually aiming at here between the middle bridges.

20210222_164244.jpg.a6fc1aab750faa90140c67f403ddc675.jpg20210222_164742.jpg.5b2514de795af8325762ea1b049533fd.jpg

• Like 9

Hi, I only just came across this topic. I lived local to Gleneagles in the seventies. I have researched the station for the last 15 or more years and have actually got an N Gauge layout being built which covers the station and the branch line with Comrie station included. A bit of poetic license introduces a loco facility and turntable and allows a mix of modern and pre-grouping rolling stock. I am familiar with the golf curses, the one nearest the station was "The Prince's Course" a 9 hole course later extended to 18 holes. This was just across the A9 from the station.

Fish trains from the north east passed through the station as well as a local "pick-up" goods hauled by a Drummond Caledonian Jumbo. Various experimental Railcars were used at Gleneagles also for the run to Comrie.

I have lots of other detail I can share.

Regards

Glen Eglise

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arrachogaidh said:

Hi, I only just came across this topic. I lived local to Gleneagles in the seventies. I have researched the station for the last 15 or more years and have actually got an N Gauge layout being built which covers the station and the branch line with Comrie station included. A bit of poetic license introduces a loco facility and turntable and allows a mix of modern and pre-grouping rolling stock. I am familiar with the golf curses, the one nearest the station was "The Prince's Course" a 9 hole course later extended to 18 holes. This was just across the A9 from the station.

Fish trains from the north east passed through the station as well as a local "pick-up" goods hauled by a Drummond Caledonian Jumbo. Various experimental Railcars were used at Gleneagles also for the run to Comrie.

I have lots of other detail I can share.

Regards

Glen Eglise

Thank you, thats great.  I'm sure there will be plenty we can share.  The operation of the Comrie branch would make a good subject. I would have liked to have got Gleneagles in but there wasn't the room.  The UP section and DN home board will be on my layout though.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 12:29, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike

Call yourself a professional railway man, there is not a tail lamp on that train.

More seriously would it not be possible to put the back scene on a curved board so that it does not run to a corner ?

Gibbo.

On the right it would block the window, and thinking about it, i could swizz it round the curve to the left but the crucial high ground might end up in the wrong place.  I may have to give that some thought.

2 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

On the right it would block the window, and thinking about it, i could swizz it round the curve to the left but the crucial high ground might end up in the wrong place.  I may have to give that some thought.

Hi Mike,

You don't have to keep the back scene in parallel to the curve of the track to reduce the shape square of the corner, you could plot a parabolic curve so as to leave as much of the scenic ground as possible to do this.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Thank you, thats great.  I'm sure there will be plenty we can share.  The operation of the Comrie branch would make a good subject. I would have liked to have got Gleneagles in but there wasn't the room.  The UP section and DN home board will be on my layout though.

A very good source book for the Strathearn Railways is available :

Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains Hardcover – 23 Jun. 2014

by John Young (Author)

Also one I have not seen :

The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder Paperback – 21 Jun. 2004

by Bernard Byrom

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Arrachogaidh said:

There were many different freight trains also. Here is a B1  https://railphotoprints.uk/p23171013/h2E381F5E#h2e381f5e

Cracking picture.  My B1 picks up a good deal of that mundane work.

That looks quite late in the afternoon judging by the sun position.  So as a guess i would say thats the 1820 Perth-Robroyston Class E.

Any advances on that train anyone?

On 24/02/2021 at 09:02, scottystitch said:

I feel like we're at embryonic point in the formation of the Earn Valley Model Railway Mafia.  

Just when I thought I was out...they pulled me back in!

Migliore

Scott

If there is a more interesting section of railway with such scenic grandeur i'm yet to find it.

12 hours ago, Arrachogaidh said:

There were many different freight trains also. Here is a B1  https://railphotoprints.uk/p23171013/h2E381F5E#h2e381f5e

Best i can do currently working towards that picture. Although this is the 1450 Class H to Grangemouth which i guess conveyed tanks mainly. Still fairly chuffed to be honest.

20210225_144435.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
  • Like 5

Tonights task before the scenery work begins was to set the 12v lighting up at the three scattered dwellings at Peterhead Farm, Muiralehouse Cottages and Millhill House above the 3 arch bridge.  I intend to just allude to their existence with very dim lighting when complete.  As fitted they give the area some atmosphere.

Peterhead Farm looking towards 3 arch and Millhill House

20210225_203409.jpg.1b3531f5b294b5980c0952ac9bfbcdbe.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
  • Like 3

Thanks guys.  I'm reaping the benefits of 18 months planning and investment in what I needed for each stage.  This has been in my head for a very long time, so the process so far of turning that into the basic format has been quite straightforward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clagmeister said:

60024 Kingfisher breasts the summit and rounds the curve South of Gleneagles with the 1200 'The Saint Mungo' Aberdeen-Glasgow express.

Hi Mike,

Only one subscriber on your YouTube channel ? I guess he must like your content or be pretty hard up for something to do !

I also not that comments are disabled. I'm surprised at that because of the salacious nature of the content of the channel, comments should engender a flow of electricity from ones egoic and ancestral field and connect you through the subject matter with and into the earth in a way that alchemises the salt of your imagination through spirit and claiming a permanent way to set into you bones the calcification necessary for the transfer of spirit into a physical reality.

Gibbo.

• Like 2