Blackford to Gleneagles

Clagmeister

2 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Yes, definitely the scale for a layout like this, plenty of scenery, lovely sweeping curves and full-length trains. Very nice.

I presume you're not running this to a real-time timetable like Caolisport, are you?

Err yes, is there any other way :lol:.  I am using the 1963 WTT.  I think the point of trains in the hills, is the waiting and not much going past.  Can either run in actual real time, or chosen time real time.

• Like 1

Just now, Clagmeister said:

Err yes, is there any other way :lol:.  I am using the 1963 WTT.  I think the point of trains in the hills, is the waiting and not much going past.  Can either run in actual real time, or chosen time real time.

Of course you are, silly me. Like you say, why would you do it any other way? :lol:

47 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Whenever I run Waverley West to the real (1986) timetable, I get behind very quickly.

It soon ends up more as a sequence of trains, rather than an actual timetabled service. 

Probably very accurate then for the 1980s

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2021 at 18:47, Clagmeister said:

I hadn't looked til you said and then was surprised that they seem to defy engineering and soil creep logic as you described.

It looks like the bracing is against the tension in the wires rather than the slope of the ground.  The additional posts are on the inside of the curve.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

It looks like the bracing is against the tension in the wires rather than the slope of the ground.  The additional posts are on the inside of the curve.

Thats a pretty good shout.  The telegraph poles on the outside of the curve are also braced.

Got some more utility double poles and double telegraph poles up, i hope pretty much as they are in the cutting.  I think its too steep and not quite deep enough but i hope the impression is there.  Got the funny wat round braces in as per the prototype.

20210317_202230.jpg.e78b9c21ff109a966fd6afc380265f30.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

38 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Got some more utility double poles and double telegraph poles up, i hope pretty much as they are in the cutting.  I think its too steep and not quite deep enough but i hope the impression is there.  Got the funny wat round braces in as per the prototype.

20210317_202230.jpg.e78b9c21ff109a966fd6afc380265f30.jpg

Its all very nice but what happened to toy trains, beer and curry ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Its more audio than visual and quite long.  Stick with it, its a corking sound track.

A V2 makes heavy going of the climb to MP 135 one evening with the 1845 Dundee Yard-Cadder Yard Class E freight.

Hi Mike,

I'm surprised that a man of your caliber doesn't know how to clear a sticking draincock. For those that don't know, shut the regulator and then wind it into back gear while opening the taps, that way the obstruction is likely to be sucked out and into the cylinder. The gear is quickly put back into forward, the cocks shut and the regulator opened, thus with luck blowing the obstruction out of the chimney. If this does not work first time, repeat the process.

I know what you will say, it is a cylinder gland that is leaking as one of the garter springs has snapped causing the blow, except that I know what leaking gland sounds like.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Normally a LMS trait, I bet they were long nights on those jobs.

Hi Mike,

Blowing cocks on the LMS was due to narrow valve rings breaking up, on the other hand, the glands were held tight by "C" clips and rarely failed.

Gibbo.

Later on Kingfisher worked past the newly installed copse to the South of Bridge 147 with a 4hr Aberdeen working.

20210320_132635.jpg.6ee4fc8be99a7c686cbf00608e6fff99.jpg

Followed shortly after by double chimneyed Dundee based A2 Blue Peter on a Dundee-Glasgow

20210320_134126.jpg.72e27dbc27e559f0f3679009a916c130.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
extra pic
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

A B1 has the very light weight Edinburgh-Perth.  Viewed from where my static caravan is going to be placed :D

20210320_102246.jpg.93998ce75b7da96c79671c9336de4144.jpg

Hi Mike,

I can imagine the hours of fun that you would have in a caravan:

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Here is the Aberdeen Flyer with a Lizzie on the front:

Gibbo.

OT, but 46201’s high-speed slip south of Carstairs on that record is scary!

2 minutes ago, pH said:

OT, but 46201’s high-speed slip south of Carstairs on that record is scary!

Hi ph,

Not really, the driver had that under control immediately, the length of the slip is due to having a full steam chest and the steam has to be used up before either the regulator is reopened or the gear wound back in depending upon driving style. I would guess y the sound of it that the regulator was closed and then reopened rather pulling up the gear.

I've been on big engines travelling in excess of 90mph and the wheels have let go and seen the speedo needle go right around the clock to read just under zero, nothing came of it.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

All stopped at the moment whilst new track is purchased for the 10 loops at the back of the layout.  Taking my time with this bit as its crucial to simple operation.

20210515_213557.jpg.781cfb82420b65ef9e01df94c2d175ef.jpg

Point work!?!?!

Spent all your Beer and Curry money on far too many A4's as I see it !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Enjoying seeing this, I was put on to it today, Love that part of railway.

Good work mate!

Going To N myself next and will be out in a garden building with it Highland Mainline 1993 Summer  is my aim with Findhorn viaduct featuring somewhere.

J

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2020 at 19:55, Clagmeister said:

Couple of questions for any learned fellows out there might who might know the answers.  From all the pics and video clips i have seen of the Glasgow-Dundee services during the early 60's more often than not they are worked by Standard Class 5's.  Did St Rollox provide them for all the diagrams?  Dundee didn't have an allocation and it appears they kicked out there V2's and occasionally A2's for some jobs.  But were they actually booked for a St Rollox loco.  I wondered also whether the B1's allocated at Tay Bridge were ever involved?  The Dundee trains never got the interest that the Aberdeen trains managed and details are a bit sketchy.

Thanks

Claggy

It should be worth noting that the evening freight from Bell's Yard, Glasgow, "The Heilan' Flyer" was often run to Perth behind a Metrovick on layover from Condor traffic. It has been mentioned elsewhere by a Perth stalwart from personal observation.

• Informative/Useful 1