00 full length trains

I only run long trains for a bit of fun, the stations struggle with 8 coaches and the Fiddle Yard with 9, however as its WR 1950s in OO the occasional 24 coach test train has to be run, usually with a Wrenn City of London, around 2ft curves and 1 in 100 gradients, The Wills and Farish Prairies and Dublo 8F also have a go.  That rakes has Hornby Dublo, Mainline. Bachmann, Hornby, Hornby pivoting just about everything except Kadees and they are fine forwards.  only real issue is the Hornby couplings pulling out of the NEM pockets.  Reversing forget it, more than about 8 coaches the tension locks ride over each other.   However outside I find my Hornby Mk2s  derail constantly when rakes more than 7 coaches are dragged up the 1 in 14 grades by Lima Diesels , the couplings lift the leading wheels off the bogies off the track as the thrust line is too low.

Wagon wise we use Hornby Dublo chassis and couplings and we pull and propel 24  wagon rakes over 2ft radius reverse curves several times every  running session, with tension locks and plastic wagons we can propel about 10 wagons as long as the couplings are carefully adjusted and lots of wagons have couplings which cannot be adjusted.... 

Power wise I find stripping out the DCC gubbins and tender pick ups, adding as much weight as possible I can get 7 lima coaches  up a 1 in 35 with a Black 5.  Thats 4 better than they were allowed up the Lickey, but the 10XX County is similar and they were known to take 12 over the 1 in 36 south devon banks. so that 5 coaches down. Bog standard they manage 3, Triang Britannia manages 15.  Funny old world

• RMweb Gold

HAAs.jpg.eed8113a2c42c01ae321b22e1577d5db.jpg

Not a brilliant photo but one of the longest trains I have put together so far, there's around 140 HAAs in one train, the tail of the train is at the front of the photo, the front of the train is at the back. That's on a continuous climb at around 1 in 120, and the train is just shy of a scale mile long.

The 58 is an old Hornby model with two power bogies and extra weight and did shift the set on it's own!

Andi

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Dagworth said:

HAAs.jpg.eed8113a2c42c01ae321b22e1577d5db.jpg

Not a brilliant photo but one of the longest trains I have put together so far, there's around 140 HAAs in one train, the tail of the train is at the front of the photo, the front of the train is at the back. That's on a continuous climb at around 1 in 120, and the train is just shy of a scale mile long.

The 58 is an old Hornby model with two power bogies and extra weight and did shift the set on it's own!

Andi

Wow! Though may I ask why is what looks like an indoor layout sat in the garden? :)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dan_the_v8man said:

Wow! Though may I ask why is what looks like an indoor layout sat in the garden? :)

Simple really, because it's too big to set up in the house! If you look at the other pictures/videos it's in a tent marquee that I bought so we weren't so vulnerable to the weather.

Andi 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, dan_the_v8man said:

8 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Simple really, because it's too big to set up in the house! If you look at the other pictures/videos it's in a tent marquee that I bought so we weren't so vulnerable to the weather.

Andi 

It's a thing they do down that neck of the woods, Mr Bullock is another proponent of it, and he's even built a patio for it. Come on Andi, you're slacking!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's a thing they do down that neck of the woods, Mr Bullock is another proponent of it, and he's even built a patio for it. Come on Andi, you're slacking!

Mike.

I spent the first couple of months of lockdown flattening the slope on my garden. It used to be about 9 inches higher at one end than the other, now it's level. I have a portable wooden floor for the tent too, and carpet!

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I spent the first couple of months of lockdown flattening the slope on my garden. It used to be about 9 inches higher at one end than the other, now it's level. I have a portable wooden floor for the tent too, and carpet!

Andi

Sounds more like a travelling Bedouin encampment, next stop the Sahara!

Mike.

• Like 1