Adverts on You Tube

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Has anybody else starting to get fed up with the intrusive, irrelevant adverts on You Tube?

Some sites are becoming unwatchable.

I was starting to watch a Virtual Railfan "Grab Bag" and there were three "wrong target" type adverts that you couldn't skip then part way through another popped up right across where there was some action.

If it carries on like this, I won't be watching anymore.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

Please dont let it put you off.

my channel underground eric got monetised recently and i didnt realise til someone pointed it out to me that the first 20 min video had 6 adverts in it.

i wasnt aware that youtube automatically threw in this many so have had to manually reduce it on all the videos.

the creator may just be unaware.

i myself dont mind the odd couple per video, at the end of the day its supporting the modellers. If it means they earn the odd £20 here and there to go towards layout bits or improvements to videos (what im hoping for mine!) im all for it.

Edited by Erixtar1992

• RMweb Gold

Yes, many videos are totally ruined by it. Just watching 40145 on the Central Wales Line from a few years ago. The last run past within 30 seconds of the end of the video suddenly goes to some inane American advert for some software, completely ruining the film.

I understand that many sites are sponsored and come with adverts, but I have to agree that adverts are ruining You Tube and many other sites.  It's reminds me of 'cold-calling' and the constant interruptions spoil whatever video is being watched.  I am not interested in these adverts, nor have I requested them and most just keep on being repeated over and over again - a certain smart phone advert comes to mind!  I spent ages trying to block adverts the other day, only to find them all reappearing later in the day!  There has to be a way of blocking them once and for all - if anyone can suggest how, I am sure it would be much appreciated! 

It's a cunning business model - get people to donate free content to attract viewers and then charge advertisers. Easy money for somebody in California.

Some browsers do have ad blockers but I'm not sure how good they are? 

Adblock on Chrome does a good job at keeping the ads away. However, there is nothing for mobile I've found that can make Youtube useable. On android, as soon as you open it you get a popup asking if you want to subscribe, then you'll have ads before whatever you want to play and if you're unlucky continually through the video as well. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Welly said:

I'm watching YT blissfully free of ads thanks to uBlock Origin for Firefox.

Are you sure it's not just the YT vids not having adverts? (they don't all have them)

There seems to be a general concensus that YT is possibly finding a way around all blockers.

• RMweb Premium

^^^

I do not log in when I watch YT. I have also noticed these grey gaps in the time bars which denotes adverts but I never see the ads! uBlock Origin really does work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, fezza said:

It's a cunning business model - get people to donate free content to attract viewers and then charge advertisers. Easy money for somebody in California.

55% of the ad revenue goes to the content creator. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

55% of the ad revenue goes to the content creator. 

Doesn't that depend on a) how it is broadcast on YT, b) how long it is and c) how much content you post?

I don't expect to see any return on the meagre amount of content I have posted.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Doesn't that depend on a) how it is broadcast on YT, b) how long it is and c) how much content you post?

I don't expect to see any return on the meagre amount of content I have posted.

You have to have reached a certain level before you can monetise your channel - you need 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Ads on YouTube have been getting worse for a while - essentially since Google/YouTube started to heavily push the subscription payment option for YouTube (entirely a coincidence I am sure).

Edited by mdvle

• RMweb Gold

I think a couple of things have changed in recent years. Firstly, more people are advertising on Youtube, especially the major brands. Secondly, adverts in the middle of the video were added, but this was left to the discretion of the content creator. An increasing number are inserting such ad breaks in their content. Thirdly, more and more channels are qualifying to monetisation, which of course drives the increased number of adverts and finally, more people are wanting to be monetised on You Tube, as they see being a content creator on the platform as an alternative to more traditional forms of employment, and advertising pays for that. 

The days of You Tube and Google providing millions of hours of video for free (and the associated IT infrastructure) are long gone. 

• RMweb Premium

I've got an adblocker switched on for You Tube which works fine

However the adblocker is turned off for RMWeb but if I watch a linked to You Tube video as in the "streamlined" King in another topic it is plastered with ads

If I just watch as a You Tube clip - no ads

Is there a solution?

Edit

Solution = open URL in another window, adblocker switches on.

Edited by melmerby

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

On Windows, I use AdGuard or UBlock Origin - I swap between the two as there is a war of attrition between YT etc and the blockers.

On my iPhone I swap between AdGuard and NeverAds.

I don’t block all sites, only the ones that are crazy with adverts like YouTube with their ads before during and after videos and banner ads on top of videos.