Using Garage for Layout

Delorean1984

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Delorean1984 said:

Yeah that's a good idea, wow that would be quite a reduction in width. Would there be enough width a 2'6" for my original oo design in N gauge? I could go wider technically than 2'6" and still be comfortable with car door as original design was 5ft wide

Both work perfectly well. The 10' x 5' gives you more options and the potential for wider curves.

• RMweb Gold

How about boxing the car into ‘a garage within a garage’ put a stud wall opposite the bins (along the length of the car) but stopping short of the existing back wall and running along the front of the car, giving you an L shaped room

the issue I’m seeing with the space (regardless of boxing the car in) is that it’s a thoroughfare for things like the washing machine and bins (I don’t know if it’s the only exit to the rear or side of the house) but I can envision a layout being there being prone to damage or as you eluded to previously dust and dirt if the doors are left open or used regularly

regards the wooden battening, the beauty I had was the garage shell was a blank canvas that needed the insulation to make it a ‘habitable space’ your walls look like you would need to be taking things like boilers, pipes, electricity supplies/sockets off and relocating them before you even got down to fitting a frame, do you need it, it’s not like you are changing the use of the area as I officially did so had to put the batons and insulation in, do you feel warm in there at present? Could you extend the central heating to get a radiator in there maybe? 

another option regards the floor, how about putting an ‘edge’ on the floor around the area where the car will be parked, say with wooden batons then insulating and laminating the area outside of the ‘car park’ which could stay as concrete, that way the car wouldn’t damage any flooring but the outer L shaped working/walking area is more pleasurable under foot?

You could simply park the car outside, go unwashed and fly tip to get rid of the car, washing machine and bins, but that’s option 2! 

Right as it's a been a while since I've measured out 10x5 in the garage here is a photo of the width, you can see where it comes up to and would be plenty of room for the car door.

So 10x5 it will be.

Just need to decide on the flooring, either paint or rubber floor tiles. Some good idea @big jim regarding the flooring, especially the one with leaving car on concrete area and creating an insulated floor under layout, would this be just laminate with just laminated flooring or just plonk some ply on top? What insulation did you use again? Yeah I've enquired about radiator in there before and it is possible too.

17 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have seen plenty of Fiat 500s that are more than 10 years old. And a wet car will rust more quickly in a garage than outdoors.

17 hours ago, big jim said:

it is a fiat though, will rust away in a week!

(says him with a mini) 

Haha, I just admit my Abarth 500 does have a mind of its own especially with the electrics. It's 10 years old one but not doing too bad on the rust front, just a bit starting under wheel arches.

IMG_20201023_112118.jpg

IMG_20201023_112124.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I recently painted my garage floor, mainly to reduce the dust. I used Leyland garage floor paint, £38 from Screwfix. Half a tin has done my average sized garage. No layout in there, only a car, but it should cut the dust down significantly.

IMG_20201122_135619006~2.jpg