Locomotive record cards

http://locodocs.co.uk/recordcards/37883-1991.htm

Whilst browsing the web over a drink, rather bored and stuck in due to curfew, I chanced upon the above.

Very interesting, it seems to be a genuine history of loconotive 37883, maintenance wise in 1991-1992. There are various other locos available on the site.

It struck me that as recently as the 1990s that a document like this would be hand written? 

All of the examples I came across where Eastern Region depots, did western depots also record their loco maintenance like this?! 

I'd be very interested if anyone has any other links or info on these, especially for something like the HST fleet or passenger fleets? 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 125_driver said:

http://locodocs.co.uk/recordcards/37883-1991.htm

Whilst browsing the web over a drink, rather bored and stuck in due to curfew, I chanced upon the above.

Very interesting, it seems to be a genuine history of loconotive 37883, maintenance wise in 1991-1992. There are various other locos available on the site.

It struck me that as recently as the 1990s that a document like this would be hand written? 

All of the examples I came across where Eastern Region depots, did western depots also record their loco maintenance like this?! 

I'd be very interested if anyone has any other links or info on these, especially for something like the HST fleet or passenger fleets? 

kew gardens maintains the archive of many of these.

it was common up-to privatisation for sure, probably beyond Y2k.

IT revolution didn't really reach many industries until days of widespread wifi & 3G in the early 2000’s to make a digital option possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 80s in The Factory we recorded ongoing maintenance on green cards, and I think HST did the same IIRC.

Every loco stopped would have a green card, and each shift the days work was recorded. That could just be a couple of lines, or whole pages when fault finding. On bigger exams and some faults/repairs, it could result in a telephone directory sized wedge of card on the clipboard.

What happened when the loco was released, I don't know, but I guess it might have been condensed into another format.

Dave

• Thanks 1

The record cards were kept at the depots for some considerable time (10yrs) so if an incident occurred the records could be examined, the same applied to the works record cards. The record cards and repair books would also move from depot to depot as when a vehicle was transferred. All of these were paper records as repair/fault finding sheets were kept with them. They are in fact legal documents.

• Thanks 1