Screwdriver recommendations??

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I want to buy a good quality set of "watchmakers" screwdrivers to cope with loco sized screws - any advice would be appreciated - I hate poor quality and am happy to pay for a quality item but it is so difficult to shop for something like this on the internet when you cant touch and feel the item.

Thanks

Check out watch- and clock-makers' suppliers for the kosher articles at the corresponding price, failing which suppliers like RS and Farnell.  Having said that, though, both the slotted and the crosshead sets I currently have came off Ebay.  There's nothing wrong with either of 'em - and I speak as an ex-working jeweller.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I like screwdrivers designed for electrical/electronic work, rather than the ones often sold as ‘jewellers screwdrivers’, because they have much longer blades (if that’s the right word) and good ones come with hardened tips. The long blades are useful for awkward spots, and I’m convinced that they allow one to apply greater torque without damaging screw-heads.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Proxxon make a good set but I have used several cheap makes in the past and not had any problems. The forces involved with moving tiny screws are small so most drivers will do the job without bending or distorting. 

• RMweb Gold

I was taught that the point ( blade ) of a screwdriver should match the slot  of the screw, that it was designed for. inserting a driver into the head of a slotted should be a 'comfortable' fit, and the width of the blade 'should' match the diameter of the head.  I've screwed up enough screws ( pun fully intended ) myself; mostly caused by using an inappropriate -sized  screw, or driver. 

It's the same with 'Phillips' screws & drivers. They do have different profiles depending on the job. 

One of my mentors explained that keeping the screwdriver 'square' was sometimes a nightmare. To that end, he made a set of sacrificial jigs (scrap aluminium) to help the driver remain at 90 degrees. 

The old adage of buying the best tools you can reasonably afford, always rings true. I'd much rather have a decent set of screwdrivers, than ruin a perfectly good model.

Cheers,

Ian.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

Proxxon make a good set 

Thanks £30 on Amazon for 15 seems a fair balance - now ordered

Edited by halsey

I bought a set of Moore and Wright (one handle and 5 blades in a plastic holder) nearly 50 years ago from the model shop in Shrewsbury and they're still in regular use now.  During this time, as well as screwing, they've also been used as solder scrapers, chisels, finger impalers etc.

• Like 1

I used to recommend BETA ones, but they didn't do a 0.05" hex driver (1.27mm), so I had to go elsewhere, and Found WERA tools. And I have to say, the WERA ones are much better. These are quite large, FACOM do some shorter ones but still larger and more comfortable to use than the usual Jewellers type.  

BFI-DSXT0065.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And buy a cheapo set as well.  It'll be carp for driving screws, but will have innumerable other uses, such as opening paint tins, stirring paint, dislodging bits of carp from flangeways and other tight spots,, the sort of abuse you don't want to give your good tools, but most importantly, you can lend them to people.  It doesn't matter much if they don't come back and that person will never ask to borrow your tools again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And buy a cheapo set as well.  It'll be carp for driving screws, but will have innumerable other uses, such as opening paint tins, stirring paint, dislodging bits of carp from flangeways and other tight spots,, the sort of abuse you don't want to give your good tools, but most importantly, you can lend them to people.  It doesn't matter much if they don't come back and that person will never ask to borrow your tools again.

I've got some v cheap ones inherited from m dad which get used for everything but aren't good enough for their actual job!

• Like 1

I've got a cheapo flat blade screwdriver in which the blade revolves in the handle under the least torque. Guess which one always comes to hand....

I'd throw it out, but it is useful as a scraper, lid remover etc. I'll have to mark it in some way, for instance red paint. If I can find both at the same time....

You can buy the same tat for £5 at an exhibition that costs £2 on a market stall, £1 in poundland  and 99p in home bargains.

Jewellers and watchmakers tools don't usually get much welly so blades turning in the handles isn't as huge a problem  when stripping a (fake Chinese knock off)  Rolex as it is trying to shift a lock tighted cross threaded wrong thread screw in your brand new £ 300  H gauge 0-3-0.  

Edited by DavidCBroad
Typo
  • Agree 1

Wera all the way for me at work. Tried Proxxon, nice but not as robust. I must caveat that as a work tool I rely upon them and so the price premium is worthwhile. There are offers around too.

Having said that I still have the draper ‘watchmaker’s set’ at home my mother bought me for my 11th birthday all those years ago.

Cheers,

andy

• Like 1