eBay Acquisition

David

A nice little loco, a great find, looking at the paint loss  the parts may be brass. Looks to be sheet metal rather than cast metal. Certainly nelly/polly chassis

I would be very tempted to put an etched chassis under it, CSP (taken over Agenoria kits) are happy to sell any of their chassis kits, and at very reasonable prices. only 2 chassis shown separately, but all are available

http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=21

As for the chassis being a non runner, its probably just needs a clean and oil, they are built like the proverbial toilet block and never break badly enough to be thrown away, put it back on eBay, bet you will get a tenner for it. 

I think most of the body is mazac not brass. I'm by no means sure about the prototype, it's very much like a Johnson 0-4-0ST but larger and the tank is square not hemispherical.

Still it's interesting and will tax my modelling skills when I get around to it. :unsure:

9 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I think most of the body is mazac not brass. I'm by no means sure about the prototype, it's very much like a Johnson 0-4-0ST but larger and the tank is square not hemispherical.

Still it's interesting and will tax my modelling skills when I get around to it. :unsure:

Shows how deceiving photos can be, still a sound base for a model

• 1 month later...

I've also , having compared it to  several drawings in different publications, come to the conclusion that that body is probably intended to be 7mm scale even though the chassis is set to 00 gauge. A bit of a hybrid!

I've wrapped it up and put it in box where it can fester.

On 17/10/2020 at 14:00, PenrithBeacon said:

I acquired this off eBay thinking it's a Manning Wardle body (I'll scrap the chassis). Now I'm not sure, can anyone advise please?

IMG_20201017_135827.jpg

You’ll have to let us know how you got on with radio control for this huge monster! Insert smiley here.

On 22/10/2020 at 12:25, PenrithBeacon said:

Notwithstanding my previous comments that this might be a Manning Wardle I'm now thinking that it might be inspired by a Neilson Box Tank.

IMG_20201022_122511.jpg

David

The cab reminds me of the Taff Vale 0-4-0T (or similar) loco, but the front splashers far to far forward, but not in the first photo. The chassis does look a good snug fit perhaps designed to fit a chassis rather than in scale

Probably are, but sadly for years these things had no value and were either thrown away or given to jumble sales, I remember having my arm twisted to take home clockwork items which never sold, 40 years later they went on eBay and sold. My dad found a boxed up train set on a skip in the late 70's its what they did, old toys were just thrown away as nobody thought they had a value, certainly few wanted to buy them. Oh how things have changed

8 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

This 'model' wasn't designed as a one-off, the body is a diecasting. a very solid piece of work. Making the tooling for such a thing costs money, serious money, I'm surprised that there aren't others like it out there.

David

I don't know how much you knew Watford, My uncle owned a fruit and veg shop in Vicarage road, just past the girls grammar school. Opposite was a tailors shop and he sold second hand model railway items and had an agency with W&H.  The model railway side grew and when he retired it was bought by Railmail. The s/h models were a side line in the original shop, though I think it grew as tailored/ repairs/alterations of clothes  diminished, but eventually the S/H market died as models became much cheaper. Puffers had a thriving second hand section downstairs.

• Agree 1