Plasticard replacement for Hornby 0-4-0 body.

I have a Hornby 'Queen Mary' 0-4-0 which I would like to turn into... well, just about anything else to be honest. Bought in a joblot, the chassis is a relatively good specimen and more than capable of pulling the loads required on my small shunting layout. However I've never like the look of the body shape. As a result, I have considered having a go at scratchbuilding a new body for it but I quickly realised that I know very little about this. While I have been able to find reccomendations on brands of plasticard and adhesive, as well as general techniques for working with them, I have found it more difficult to find what thickness is reccomended for loco bodies. My other issue is the construction of the body and how to connect it to the chassis. I assume making use of the existing clips is the simplest approach but I have found that with most things in this hobby there important things to watch out for and pitfalls to avoid - I would be very grateful for any advice on common mistakes.

To give you some more information which may be useful, the new body is likely to be a diesel (possibly BR class 02 based as I recall that the wheelbase was about right when measured). This should allow the use of flat rectangular parts in most places, which should be simpler to build. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer on this subject.

9 hours ago, Nile said:

For some ideas of what can be done with this model look here:

I've been following that thread for a while and its incredible how many designs have been created from such a small group of RTR locos. Its definitely one of the things that has pushed me into deciding to make considerable alterations to my own loco.