Adobe (formerly Shockwave) Flash browser add on. Does anyone still use it?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I still have Flash on my computer and Adobe are pulling the plug at the end of the year, recommending users to uninstall it.

Is it still used anywhere important?

Or can I just dump it now?

Edited by melmerby

• melmerby changed the title to Adobe (formerly Shockwave) Flash browser add on. Does anyone still use it?

Realistically only you can know.

Personally I haven't used Flash in 5+ years and can't recall missing anything - but that is me.

It is possible you may have some site you visit that hasn't upgraded past Flash - though I would think/hope at this point any site that is still using Flash is doing so because the site has effectively been abandoned.

Perhaps try disabling it for now and see if anything breaks in the next couple of weeks first?

Alternately, take the view that come 2021 Flash will be a security risk and remove it now and simply accept that if there is a site that still needs it then you will need to do without access to that site.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Probably could have answered my own question, if I had looked further.

My laptop doesn't have Flash and I haven't noticed anything different about websites I visit!

I shall remove it now.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Probably could have answered my own question, if I had looked further.

My laptop doesn't have Flash and I haven't noticed anything different about websites I visit!

I shall remove it now.

Looking further the laptop does have Flash installed as it has just had an update.

But I cannot see why as it is not an add-on for any browsers and it doesn't appear amongst the apps or programs.:scratchhead:

As I can't find it as a program although all the files are there I can't uninstall it!

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is it still used anywhere important?

As far as I am aware I don't need it for any internet functions.   However, I have an elderly 2TB Seagate GoFlex_Home external hard drive plugged into my router and available to all devices on the home network; 2 iPads, a Mac and a windows laptop.   The Apple products seem to be able to access with no issues (the iPads using FileBrowser) but the laptop refuses to connect without Flash running and I can't get it to recognise the drive as a NAS.   Maybe I've got to bite the bullet and replace the drive with something more modern.

John

• RMweb Premium

I found Adobe has a Flash Uninstaller program, installed and ran it and it says Flash has been removed successfully.

Strange that as all the files and folders are still there.

Run it again & again & again it keeps saying it has successfully removed Flash.

What a lot of b*llshit!

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

I found Adobe has a Flash Uninstaller program, installed and ran it and it says Flash has been removed successfully.

Strange that as all the files and folders are still there.

Run it again & again & again it keeps saying it has successfully removed Flash.

What a lot of b*llshit!

There are multiple ways to have gotten Flash, and the Adobe removal program is for cases where people downloaded Flash from Adobe and installed it that way.

It is likely what you are seeing is the version of Flash installed by Microsoft as part of Windows for the use of Microsoft's Edge web browser.

If that is the case, Microsoft will be first disabling it and then removing it in due course, with a removal tool being provided sometime in the next couple of months for those who want to remove it sooner.

See this page for more details on Microsoft's plans

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/04/update-adobe-flash-end-support/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, mdvle said:

There are multiple ways to have gotten Flash, and the Adobe removal program is for cases where people downloaded Flash from Adobe and installed it that way.

It is likely what you are seeing is the version of Flash installed by Microsoft as part of Windows for the use of Microsoft's Edge web browser.

If that is the case, Microsoft will be first disabling it and then removing it in due course, with a removal tool being provided sometime in the next couple of months for those who want to remove it sooner.

See this page for more details on Microsoft's plans

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/04/update-adobe-flash-end-support/

That's useful to know.

I did try and find it as an add in for IE and Chromedge but it wasn't listed.