Fitting Mashima motors

I have recently acquired some Mashima motors but I was only able to get 14xx series motors.

I have some brass loco kits which suggest using mashima 1224 motors. Has anyone fitted a 1424 with a suitable high level gearbox to Malcolm Mitchell small praire kits. The dimensions of the 1224 and 1424 seem to vary by 1.8 mm in height. It doesn't seem to be a great amount but I am wondering if it is, and will cause a problem when the kits are built.

I realise it would be better to build the kits first but it will be a while before I have the confidence to build  them. I would like to sure that I can fit the 1424 motors and purchase suitable gearboxes whilst they are still available.

Regards

Below is the highlevel planner, I have successfully fitted a High Level gearbox between a K's 00 gauge chassis which has brass frames, so fitting a gearbox between an etched chassis even in 00 gauge allows a wider range of gear boxes, just choose one which raises the height above the chassis but below the body. You may find using either a Roadrunner+ or a Loadhauler+ preferable as the extender bracket can be adjusted for height and or clearance. 

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/gearboxplanner.pdf

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

Chris does a super range of 12mm coreless motors, which seem cheaper than what some are asking for Mashima's now. The bonus is they are better motors 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi

Thanks for your advice. 

I had thought of contacting Chris at high level but his website states that he can not enter into discussions on Motor/gearbox combinations for any particular kits. I find his suggestions on the webite very helpful but is obviously exhaustive. I am in Australia so a simple telephone conversation isn't practical. I get the impression from e-mails that he is under a fair bit of pressure due to Covid and getting supplies etc.

One suggestion on his website for GWR 43xx was to mount the motor vertically. However, someone I know with a fair bit of experience did not like this configuration. What are peoples thoughts on  this?

I have a document that suggests different gearboxes for different wheel combinations which gives useful tables

• RMweb Premium

The gearbox planner is easy to use. Motors can be set up in any angle nowadays .. the lubrication problems seen in the past are not really a problem now. Brush design has greatly improved so I wouldn't worry about the motor angle.

Try using thelanner.. 

Baz

A stock reply I would go for either a Roadrunner+ or Loadhauler+ as these can be formed in many ways to squeeze into the space available, I would go for the coreless motor for the quality of kit you are building. Personally I go for the mid to lower range of gears with the small wheels . With your order just explain what you want to achieve and if he would email you if he feels the gear choice is incorrect