Issues uploading pictures

Hiya,  is anyone else having an issue with the ‘add files’ button,   When uploading pics?

i now have the majority of pictures i try to add uploading upside down for some strange reason with seemingly no way to rotate them back.

in my photo album they are the correct way up but only happens when uploaded on here.

never used to have this problem, its a more recent thing.

wondered if there was a fix/it was known about?

thanks!

• Moderators

20190909_193914.jpg

Seems ok here but I smell you may have an iPad with the orientation issues?

A few others have had function issues with older iOS versions/devices.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Why are people presuming i cant use a phone properly

there is nothing wrong with the phone, its an issue with the site that didnt used to happen lol

Previously web sites could ensure that images are displayed the right way up using this CSS code:

img
 {
  image-orientation: from-image;
 }

Unfortunately that code is now deprecated and/or no longer works, see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/image-orientation

It is now up to users to use their camera the right way up.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Previously web sites could ensure that images are displayed the right way up using this CSS code:

img
 {
  image-orientation: from-image;
 }

Unfortunately that code is now deprecated and/or no longer works, see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/image-orientation

It is now up to users to use their camera the right way up.

Martin.

Hmm would sorta make sense, as i never used to have the issue.

however wouldnt that mean you end up with pics at 90’ out usually (due to taking pics in landscape) rather than 180?

What a pain!  

• RMweb Premium

Test upload

Taken in portrait mode on Canon camera

Pixel count reduced by CorelPaint

Posted straight to RMWeb

499609824_broadstreet40a.jpg.2a5b7dd67f2b68451f91b77fa409d8ea.jpg

Same view taken Landscape

Pixel count reduced by CorelPaint

Posted straight to RMWeb

1038422292_broadstreet40.jpg.bda1e58eb736a1a4dbd84906aeb205ec.jpg

The top one was upright when taken, upright when posted and displays upright.

Second was Landscape when taken, landscape when posted and landscape when displayed

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Test upload

The top one was upright when taken, upright when posted and displays upright.

Second was Landscape when taken, landscape when posted and landscape when displayed

Everything works fine when the camera / phone is held vertically (looking horizontally). The device rotates the image from the sensor before saving it, according to its orientation sensor.

Problems arise when the device is held horizontally, i.e. looking down as when photographing a page of a book. Then the orientation sensor does not work. The usual result is that you get a landscape picture regardless.

Whichever way you use the device, on a phone the position of the camera lens determines the TOP of the image. If the lens is at the bottom of the device, the device may choose to display it the other way up on the device, so that you don't realise that you took it upside down, but it won't be the other way up when uploaded to a web site or edited in a computer graphics editor program. The top will be where the lens was on the device.

Don't use a phone upside down for taking photos -- apart from anything else the lens is likely to be obstructed by your fingers. Have the lens at the TOP.

Martin.      

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

however wouldnt that mean you end up with pics at 90’ out usually (due to taking pics in landscape) rather than 180?

What a pain!  

???

Look at the back of your device. If the lens is at the bottom, rotate it 180 degrees so that it's at the top. Same in landscape or portrait. Where's the pain?

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Erixtar1992 said:

martin I think you are missing the point that RMweb is the only place i have had this problem.

any other website/app has been fine.

it happens at random.

OK, looking at Keith's latest post there is a problem somewhere. confused.gif

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I went to load the post, which appeared as a portrait image in my photo folder it appeared at 90 degrees in the uploaded thumb, so I rotated the way I thought it should go and it ended up upside down.

Strange because when I did it the first time (unfortunately I didn't keep the image I originally uploaded) it all went as expected.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, melmerby said:

When I went to load the post, which appeared as a portrait image in my photo folder it appeared at 90 degrees in the uploaded thumb, so I rotated the way I thought it should go and it ended up upside down.

Strange because when I did it the first time (unfortunately I didn't keep the image I originally uploaded) it all went as expected.

Oh i didnt know you were able to rotate pics on here? Was that on a PC or were you able to on a phone?

odd that it still didnt play ball though!

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Oh i didnt know you were able to rotate pics on here? Was that on a PC or were you able to on a phone?

odd that it still didnt play ball though!

AFAIK you can't rotate on here. I did it in the folder on the PC, I don't use phones for RMweb uploads, they are too fiddly for my liking.

I can't fathom what I did different between the first post and the second to get a 180 degree reversal.

It's a pity I didn't keep the first image, I just did it temporarily and deleted when I came to do it again.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just had a similar problem with photos originally taken on an iphone. Knowing about the issue, I emailed the photos to myself and then saved them on a Windows PC. On the PC, the photos open vertically so the image shows correctly, but when I upload them into the draft post on RMweb, RMweb turns them horizontally. I don't recall this problem in the past. I can't find a fix. Any suggestions, please.

EDIT: Found a solution. Opened and re-saved the photo, thereby creating a new but identical copy.

Edited by brushman47544
answered my own question
  • Informative/Useful 1