Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hiya,  is anyone else having an issue with the ‘add files’ button,   When uploading pics?

 

i now have the majority of pictures i try to add uploading upside down for some strange reason with seemingly no way to rotate them back.

 

in my photo album they are the correct way up but only happens when uploaded on here.

 

never used to have this problem, its a more recent thing.

 

wondered if there was a fix/it was known about?

 

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AY Mod said:

20190909_193914.jpg

 

Seems ok here but I smell you may have an iPad with the orientation issues?

 

A few others have had function issues with older iOS versions/devices.

No buddy iphone,  it doesnt do it on all pics, but probably 75% of them!

 

 

86483CC4-7295-4B13-8CD9-A4002BD5AE6E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Why are people presuming i cant use a phone properly

 

there is nothing wrong with the phone, its an issue with the site that didnt used to happen lol

 

 

Previously web sites could ensure that images are displayed the right way up using this CSS code:

 

img
 {
  image-orientation: from-image;
 }

 

Unfortunately that code is now deprecated and/or no longer works, see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/image-orientation

 

It is now up to users to use their camera the right way up.

 

Martin.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

 

 

Previously web sites could ensure that images are displayed the right way up using this CSS code:

 

img
 {
  image-orientation: from-image;
 }

 

Unfortunately that code is now deprecated and/or no longer works, see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/image-orientation

 

It is now up to users to use their camera the right way up.

 

Martin.

Hmm would sorta make sense, as i never used to have the issue.

however wouldnt that mean you end up with pics at 90’ out usually (due to taking pics in landscape) rather than 180?

 

What a pain!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Test upload

 

Taken in portrait mode on Canon camera

Pixel count reduced by CorelPaint

Posted straight to RMWeb

499609824_broadstreet40a.jpg.2a5b7dd67f2b68451f91b77fa409d8ea.jpg


 

Same view taken Landscape

Pixel count reduced by CorelPaint

Posted straight to RMWeb

1038422292_broadstreet40.jpg.bda1e58eb736a1a4dbd84906aeb205ec.jpg

 

The top one was upright when taken, upright when posted and displays upright.

Second was Landscape when taken, landscape when posted and landscape when displayed

Edited by melmerby
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Test upload

 

The top one was upright when taken, upright when posted and displays upright.

Second was Landscape when taken, landscape when posted and landscape when displayed

 

Everything works fine when the camera / phone is held vertically (looking horizontally). The device rotates the image from the sensor before saving it, according to its orientation sensor.

 

Problems arise when the device is held horizontally, i.e. looking down as when photographing a page of a book. Then the orientation sensor does not work. The usual result is that you get a landscape picture regardless.

 

Whichever way you use the device, on a phone the position of the camera lens determines the TOP of the image. If the lens is at the bottom of the device, the device may choose to display it the other way up on the device, so that you don't realise that you took it upside down, but it won't be the other way up when uploaded to a web site or edited in a computer graphics editor program. The top will be where the lens was on the device.

 

Don't use a phone upside down for taking photos -- apart from anything else the lens is likely to be obstructed by your fingers. Have the lens at the TOP.

 

Martin.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

however wouldnt that mean you end up with pics at 90’ out usually (due to taking pics in landscape) rather than 180?

 

What a pain!  

 

???

 

Look at the back of your device. If the lens is at the bottom, rotate it 180 degrees so that it's at the top. Same in landscape or portrait. Where's the pain?

 

Martin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Erixtar1992 said:

martin I think you are missing the point that RMweb is the only place i have had this problem.

any other website/app has been fine.

 

it happens at random.

 

OK, looking at Keith's latest post there is a problem somewhere. confused.gif

 

Martin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I went to load the post, which appeared as a portrait image in my photo folder it appeared at 90 degrees in the uploaded thumb, so I rotated the way I thought it should go and it ended up upside down.

Strange because when I did it the first time (unfortunately I didn't keep the image I originally uploaded) it all went as expected.

 

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, melmerby said:

When I went to load the post, which appeared as a portrait image in my photo folder it appeared at 90 degrees in the uploaded thumb, so I rotated the way I thought it should go and it ended up upside down.

Strange because when I did it the first time (unfortunately I didn't keep the image I originally uploaded) it all went as expected.

 

Oh i didnt know you were able to rotate pics on here? Was that on a PC or were you able to on a phone?

odd that it still didnt play ball though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Oh i didnt know you were able to rotate pics on here? Was that on a PC or were you able to on a phone?

odd that it still didnt play ball though!

AFAIK you can't rotate on here. I did it in the folder on the PC, I don't use phones for RMweb uploads, they are too fiddly for my liking.

I can't fathom what I did different between the first post and the second to get a 180 degree reversal.

It's a pity I didn't keep the first image, I just did it temporarily and deleted when I came to do it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.