Have you had a constructive time during the pandemic.

I use this title lightly as the pandemic is a serious problem. But after finishing my latest engine I realised how much I had got done this year in between having Covid19, working at the hospital and lock down problems. So I wondered how much all of you have been able to do. This thread is really aimed at those who browse and do not post. As of course we all know what has been done by those of us who do post. I would love to know what the rest of you have been doing. Don't be shy come and show us. I was amazed by how much I have done.

Here is some of my contribution to get you started.

Stanier 2-6-4 2.jpg

DSC_0936.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG

3mt 1.jpg

bitsa black 5 2.jpg

black hall 8.jpg

black pririe 3.jpg

deely step 3.jpg

DSC_0830.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0890.JPG

DSC_0906.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

• cypherman changed the title to Have you had a constructive time during the pandemic.

When we were locked down in March, I was glad to have a hobby like Railway Modelling.

I has already decided to re-start my scratchbuilt station building. The new one is nearly finished now & I am very pleased with it. The old & new are on my layout thread.

As the lockdown eased, I started to get out on my bike a little more, until a car knocked me off in August. Before anyone shouts 'bloody cyclists', I was wearing bright red in good daylight & cycling around a roundabout. The driver of a car entering somehow failed to see me & it is difficult to judge the speed of a vehicle coming straight towards you. I suffered a broken wrist & leg (right at the very top, which is quite a nasty place to break it). My parents insisted I stay with them, particularly as they have a bungalow. I took some building materials with me & realised that instead of my terraced house, I was in a detached bungalow. Sounds like a good scratchbuilding project.

I am not very experienced at scratchbuilding buildings but I find it a very slow process, which is ideal for a lockdown.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Pete,

I think many of us have found our hobby a life saving grace. You can loose yourself for hours in building and playing with trains. I hope that your getting better. I have been luckier than most as my job allowed me to get out and travel during the lock down periods.

• Thanks 1

I've managed to do quite a lot honestly, managed to build my first "proper" layout, scenics & all. A lot I'd change if I did it again, but being on a budget & using only the set track I had, I think I've done okay. Started in ernest mid March & got to this point by about August.

Lost of other loco & rolling stock projects as well including repainting locos (spent far too long "de-weathering" my D16 & adding the builders plate to it), adding real coal to wagons, scratch building & kit building all sorts of things including the below Dapol brake van. Been very productive for me personally, there's a lot more I could mention but yes, I've done a lot. I've also started building a OO9 layout!

IMG_20200216_152927.jpg

IMG_20200522_172355.jpg

IMG_20200623_171108.jpg

IMG_20200705_120703_815.jpg

IMG_20200308_090659.jpg

IMG_20200603_203409.jpg

• Like 5

On 20/10/2020 at 20:58, Matty P said:

I've managed to do quite a lot honestly, managed to build my first "proper" layout, scenics & all. A lot I'd change if I did it again, but being on a budget & using only the set track I had, I think I've done okay. Started in ernest mid March & got to this point by about August.

Lost of other loco & rolling stock projects as well including repainting locos (spent far too long "de-weathering" my D16 & adding the builders plate to it), adding real coal to wagons, scratch building & kit building all sorts of things including the below Dapol brake van. Been very productive for me personally, there's a lot more I could mention but yes, I've done a lot. I've also started building a OO9 layout!

You have done more than ok. That is an excellent 1st layout.

It sounds like you have learned a lot from building & hopefully got a lot of enjoyment from it. What more could you want?

Most of us would do things differently if we started again. This is usually what prompts us to move on from one layout to the next, or go back a stage to improve on something.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Matty. Well done. I hope it brings hours of pleasure to you when you run it

Thanks! It certainly has, although being in the garage, & with the weather on the turn, it's not getting as much love. Ho hum, I've got plenty of stock that needs improving! 

9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

You have done more than ok. That is an excellent 1st layout.

It sounds like you have learned a lot from building & hopefully got a lot of enjoyment from it. What more could you want?

Most of us would do things differently if we started again. This is usually what prompts us to move on from one layout to the next, or go back a stage to improve on something.

That's very kind as well thanks! It's been about a 80/20 split with enjoyment & annoyance... I do have more plans for another bigger layout, though that's going to have to be an after Covid project, when ever that might be.

I've also been slightly modding a OO9 loco kits, it's s turned out pretty nice I think! Just some simple thing; copper wire as pipework, lining one & PVA as some window "glazing". Guess looking back in it the last few months have been very productive....

IMG_20201023_211137.jpg

• Like 2