Nice power cab and computer interface

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

I am looking to add a second controller to my layout, and rather like the look of some of the mobile phone app options currently available. 

mid I was to connect my Powercab to a laptop via the computer interface would it be possible to run in multiple with a mobile throttle?

Yes if you run the open-source JMRI software on the laptop.   

Within JMRI there is an option for the "WiThrottle Server".   That's the server process to allow smartphones to connect to JMRI, and thus to the layout.  Typically using WiThrottle App on Apple devices or the Engine Driver App on Android devices.  

For further enhancements, adding your locos into the "Roster" within JMRI, and setting the Function Key labels in the Roster, and those details are used on the smartphone Apps, thus keys labelled "horn" "door slam" rather than F2, F5, etc..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks, so the Jmri software would be the master with both powercab and withrottle running off it?

in which case I will start searching out a computer interface... 

Not "master" as such.   

JMRI (via the PowerCab USB device) is another "cab" (= throttle in NCE language).   It can see and control as much as a second throttle device.   But, being a decent bit of software, it can respond to every throttle message seen on the NCE system, plus remembering all the user's settings entered.  So, can control the system. 

Your existing PowerCab remains the "master" device.  Unplug that, and everything stops.  

In relation to the phones, JMRI is the "server" process, to which the phone apps must connect.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I am looking to add a second controller to my layout, and rather like the look of some of the mobile phone app options currently available. 

mid I was to connect my Powercab to a laptop via the computer interface would it be possible to run in multiple with a mobile throttle?

You don’t have to use a computer ( laptop or otherwise) to run throttle apps on a mobile device.

There’s a module, the WiFiTrax Cab Bus WiFi interface, which can be connected to the NCE cab bus, to allow your mobile device (e.g. smartphone) to talk directly to your NCE DCC system without the need to have a computer in the chain, nor any software like JMRI running.

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/wifitrax/nce-cab-bus-wifi-interface

http://www.wifitrax.com/products/product-WFD-30-detail.html

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 1