APT PoP 1 and Laboratory 3

Darius43

Actually, looking at the image on the train testing.com website, I think it was coupled using a bar coupling, and looking at the wiring I think it would be semi permanent coupled with the support coach.

There is a nice photo of the end of one of the POP coaches there after they had the cladding added.

Hi Darius,

Yes, I've got a copy of that to.  Its a very early photo is that one.

Lol, yes save you digging in the bits box.  

I would have put buffers on if it needed them but I must admit, it can be confusing with rtc stuff.

Looks the business by the way. Great job.

Regards

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roddy,

Colours as follows:-

Bogies - Rail blue.

Chassis and underframe - Halfords Rover Tempest Grey

Chassis upper surface (between bulkheads) - 50/50 mix of Humbrol grey and black.

Framework and Bulkheads - Acid 8 Grey Primer

Cabins - Halfords Nissan Silver

Ballast Weights - Halfords Nissan Silver with a diluted wash of Phoenix track colour.

Doors - Humbrol 157

Buffer beam - Phoenix signal yellow.

VIP seats - mix of blue and black enamels.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Darius,

Seeing this intriguing build reminded me that comparatively recently I realised that I had managed to photograph this train passing through Crewe on 9/11/73 behind Willesden's Class 25 7600. Not having a clue what it was at the time I have it annotated in my notebook as an 'engineer's train', of course now I know what it was I wish the photo had come out better, but it was taken with a poor camera in poor light (and this was around mid-day - Crewe was rarely kind to me weather-wise!) so is probably of very limited value.........perhaps the headcode 1Z43 is useful to know?!

Looking at your Mark 1 "kit" (and I thought my Inspection Saloon was ambitious with 4 parts on one side and 6 on the other!!) the leading coach looks to have been Lab3 then? The things I find out 47 years after the event........:)

By that time 7600 was one of the very last Class 25s - indeed one of the very last locomotives - on BR still with small yellow warning panels, and looked out of place - two numbers above it in my notebook is 50036, the first TOPS-numbered Class 50, and just over the way Crewe was turned out ex-works Class 47s with new numbers too. Electric loco renumbering had started the previous year. However two days after this I saw another green diesel with small panels - the RTC's D5901 passing north through Stafford with the Tribometer train, the only time I ever saw a Baby Deltic moving! No photo (even a poor one) as it was dark, alas.1870839550_731109_D7600APT_POP_Crewe.JPG.141493f3e41cdf6460acb0d48fd5f5d7.JPG

• Like 6

Great build Darius, the speed and quality you work to is astounding. Thanks for posting pics, its spurred me on to enquire and reserve a kit on the next batch. Looks to be an incredibly detailed yet straight firwardbuild, really looking forward to having a go and getting something pretty special.

Lab 3 looks a good project too, suspect itl be built and in the paint shop by tea time tomorrow!

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Colours as follows:-

Cheers

Darius

Thanks very much Darius, that is really helpful.  The bogies looked green on my screen, which was why I asked as I thought Rail Blue was a more logical colour.

Best wishes

Roddy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Question - how many windows were in the propelling “cab” end of Laboratory 3?

The photo on the TrainTesting website of the coach in the later RTC livery shows it to have only one “cab” window on the LH side (looking outwards).

I will be painting the coach in the red/blue RTC livery.

Cheers

Darius

• Darius43 changed the title to APT PoP 1 and Laboratory 3

So Lab 3 was at one end, which one was at the other end??

Also, wasn't the POP Train hauled by the Prototype HST Power Cars, once the production HSTs were being rolled out??

Cheers

Neal.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

So Lab 3 was at one end, which one was at the other end??

Also, wasn't the POP Train hauled by the Prototype HST Power Cars, once the production HSTs were being rolled out??

Cheers

Neal.

I think the answers to your questions are in This thread.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1