Advertisements, maps and mirrors in GWR carriages

• RMweb Premium

I am just about to paint the interior of a Slaters bogie 3rd. For they year 1912 should there be photos above the seats? Same question for maps? And did the GWR ever use mirrors there, and if so was it only in First Class? I am not sure you will see much but it is worth a try.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

I did something like this to Lima mk1s many years ago, using pencil to replicate black and white photos (some had identifiable church spires or seascapes) and tin foil for the mirrors.  You can't really see them, even through mk1 windows, from most viewing angles and in most lights but it was fun to do and to show off.  If you are going to light your coaches, I think they would be much more apparent.

By the 50s there were mirrors in second class, but of course by then the oldest stock was Collett era.  Given that SRM 93 and trailer 92 have mirrors on the saloon bulkheads, and it didn't get much more downmarket than this, I'd say third class probably had mirrors at the centre of the compartment divider flanked by maps (red ink) or photos, but would not be prepared to state that this is a fact.  First class would have bigger, better, mirrors, perhaps in curly wooden frames.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and put whatever mirrors, maps, or pictures you want in there, as they are easy to remove or paint over should information come to light that they are incorrect.  There is an account in W Mountford's Caerphilly Works book, and I'd be amazed if you don't have a copy of this, Cornelius, as you are name checked many times in it, of the stock used for the Machen workman's service that ran to the Works.  This was ex LNW stock IIRC, or was it Midland, anyway we are talking about the 50s and the coaches had Hamilton Ellis paintings in the compartments of various pre-grouping locos.  Mountford expressed surprise that none went walkabout, as interest in them by the works staff that used the train was considerable.  These had presumably been in the coaches since they were built.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1