DCC Concepts SS point motors and controller unit

• RMweb Premium

Not a question as such, but I would be interested to read of  experiences using the surface mounted system and controller at first glance it looks straight forward, my only concern is programming individual point motors that are going into the same connection junctions on the control unit. Although, even the programming appears easy. has anyone found anything unexpected. I have the six pack on order for a section of my layout and would like to hear of others experiences.

Tahnks. 

I hope 7013's experiences are better than mine.   

I found them unreliable and therefore useless on hand laid track in EM, P4 and 2mm finescale, both with almost direct link to tiebar, and through remote links.  They might work with Peco (etc.) track, I have not tried that option.   

A fair sized box went back as "not suitable" to the supplier.  The one which was opened is still in search of a situation where it will reliably work.   

• 2 months later...

I disagree, having just installed 12 SS point motors on both O Gauge Streamline & Setrack Unifrog turnouts.

(I have not installed on hand-built track, but I imagine that they would be OK)

Admittedly they need careful installation & setting-up.

For instance, they are very susceptible to being screwed down too tightly, and they seem to work better if the motor is on the same level as the track base.  

Adjusting the throw on the control box also needs to be done with care.

Because of this sensitivity, I can imagine that they would not be a good idea for a portable or exhibition layout.

However, they work well on my loft layout, which cannot have any under-board wires etc, because of storage requirements.

Due to lack of info regarding SS Point Motors  and O Gauge, I may put together a short article on my findings for the DCC Concepts "Focus Forum" - https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just finished wiring 6 of these into my layout, care has to be taken and patince is the by word. However once set up ( very simple with the control units) they work really well, throw length is easy to adjust, programming is simple, and they can easily be disguised. Very happy with these.

• Agree 1