Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

E.R.H 'Teddy' Francis

Hello all. 

I was just reading an obituary for this chap in MRJ, and wonder if there are any articles or more information about him? I understood he wrote for various publications, but does anyone know about his life and work? I like the find out about the person as well as the models.

Does anyone have any photos of the coaches he produced? I understand he worked mostly in Plasticard. 

If anyone can fill in the blanks I'd love to hear about it. I understand he was quite a character. 

Kind regards

Haggerleases. 

• RMweb Premium

He did a series of coach building articles in the Railway Modeller back in the '70s, I think a few went to Pendon.

In the '80s he started Dart Castings and then went on to start Shirescenes, when  he started doing etched kits. When he retired he sold on the business.

He also did missionary work in the US, doing a few modelling seminars over there.

He had a wife Issy, who always accompanied him to shows where he was trading.

That's about the limit of my knowledge, of him.

• RMweb Premium

In the 70s he did a lot of writing for Model Railway Constructor, with many articles on GWR coaches, many apparently for Pendon. But certainly not all as some Midland Railway coaches and and in N Gauge.

He also wrote the 'Townscape' series, for Devon towns. Also some on bridges and stations.

Edited by kevinlms
Wrong word

At the time, his articles on coachbuilding in plasticard were the definitive source for such things.  He worked in 4mm scale and the panelled vehicles were a work of art.  I used to read them and wondered if I would ever be able to reach such dizzy heights of modelling excellence.

I still do wonder..........

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

His models were outstanding, and I remember something of his techniques.

Cutting a delicate fret for coach panelling was beyond my skills - Francis recommended using a new scalpel blade every time, and very thin (10 thou) sheets, iirc.  Glazing was always made using “slide glass”, but I never fathomed out whether that was from microscope slides, cover slips or GePe type frames.  I think it might have been Francis that suggested the use of gum arabic rather than solvent in certain situations.

• Like 1