Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Unknown Station

Can anyone  help me to identify this station?

Looks interesting.  Apparent  single line with platform both  sides (but with another line going to the  rear

of the photo)?

Overbridge, water crane and high signal.

Entrance to station under canopy to the left of photo?

Probably taken in the 1930s?

unknown 1.jpg

• Like 3

No idea where it is, but I suspect that's a goods or mail platform - it's too short, even for a branch line, for passengers. And I'm not convinced it's a single line - I think that the platform on which the photographer is standing is part of an island in the centre of a double track line. In the distance, there appear to be two tracks heading off round the curve.

It's difficult to tell from the photo, as it's so low-res, but I have a feeling that the low-level signal immediately in front of the bridge is lower-quadrant. And the water column looks, to me, to be a GWR version.

Just now, MarkSG said:

but I suspect that's a goods or mail platform - it's too short, even for a branch line, for passengers

No, but you're on the right road.  It's Lord Hastings' private platform at Melton Constable.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
misplaced apostrophe
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

53 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

No, but you're on the right road.  It's Lord Hastings' private platform at Melton Constable.

Aha! So I was wrong about the location, but right about the fact that the main (public) station is an island platform on a double track line.

Melton Constable would make a good basis for a layout, particularly if you're willing to use a lot of modeller's licence to compress it. A double junction, and associated locomotive (or, later, wagon) works in an otherwise rural location would have a lot of operational and modelling interest. The private platform would be a lovely cameo.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

Melton Constable makes sense. There are other photos in this lot that are plainly M&GN: locos, wagons  etc.

There's a good photo on Flickr taken in 1972.

Its just down the road from Darryl.  I've stayed at the Three Horseshoes.