IXO 1/43 BMC FG + IXO Ford Et6 Pickfords, Bedford OYD British Railways

70E

Having seen Giles of R/C conversion of 1/43 and 1/76 Diecast models fame and the IXO BMC FG he used to convert to R/C, I thought I would have a go.  I managed to find one on Ebay and had a go at converting it to a BRS version.

I have by no means the skillset of Giles to convert it to R/C so it is just a static model. As Giles has said in his RMweb threads and Youtube videos converting from L/H to R/H is relatively straight forward. I took his advice and primed the cab as he experienced problems with the original paint blistering when he over sprayed with Halffords car paint. I used Halfords white primer which worked OK. I masked the glazing with maskol which meant losing the black rubber seals to the windows but used a permanent marker to re-instate after painting.

Giles kindly produced the replacement timber body and irons which really look the part. I used Phoenix paints for the green and wheels. The timber planking I used Lifecolor wood effects and Revell anthracite for the tyres. Transfers were ones I found on Ebay.

I still have to fit some windscreen wipers, indicators  and wing mirrors as well as adding some light weathering but all in all I am quite pleased with the overall effect.

I couldn't find any colour pictures as examples of a BRS FG so used a Base toys picture for the colour scheme. Being originally LH drive there are some compromises on the model such as the fuel tank is on the wrong side and the number rear number plate needs sorting. 

Next I am having a go at the IXO Ford ET6.

Mark

95485895-87DC-4EC1-A868-E3008319BCEE.jpeg

FB2A4683-729E-4788-B8B7-ED2DE57E7D49.jpeg

B3C4B411-2C37-4D7B-8D06-A9B09F707DCE_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by 70E
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Pictures of the IXO Ford ET6

This was relatively straight forward as I purchased the 'gas' version which is already R/H drive, so just had to modify the bodywork and add some transfers. I was able to T Cut the existing lettering off quite easily.

F305A5DD-560A-425F-96D1-D6E498153A66.jpeg

7552979E-691A-4C64-8C2F-FC0A0F2D355E.jpeg

5BD50B84-3A78-4889-BBF3-13E3639392FF.jpeg

8272B3E0-ADD5-4EBB-BBB5-B0E272DC09FA_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 70E changed the title to IXO 1/43 BMC FG + IXO Ford Et6

Thanks Gents. I do agree - the Ixo and Altaya models have been an enormous boost to the modelling sphere. My original ET6 has now been chopped down to a flat bed to enable fork lift work

2020-09-08_12-12-36

Whilst a stock ET6 was converted to a tipper.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

On 24/10/2020 at 14:51, 70E said:

I was able to T Cut the existing lettering off quite easily.

The ability to remove the lettering was another major plus for me with the TK as it saved me doing a full cab respray as the Bedford printing was rather nice on the cab

thumbnail_20200128_192427.jpg.0fa9eeefbd1705036344650d43e078f2.jpg.f108e20c82bd5b944770cd3e022985e6.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you 37114 for the compliments, your work too has inspired me to have a go. I had thought of purchasing the Altaya Bedford but wasn't sure what to do with it but your tipper conversion is look pzrticlulary good and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Owdbob has also inspired me and in fact seeing his conversion of the atlas/dinky coal truck it looked achievable so I thought that I would give it a go. see picture below, 

I have also managed to purchase another IXO ford North west gas truck for a reasonable price off of eBay and in doing so also saw an Ebro spar lorry, looking at the photos I though I could do a bit of mix and match to create a Pickfords lremoval lorry.

So the Ford cab being R/H drive has been transplanted onto the Ebro chassis as it already had red wheels. Its currently work in progress as I have had trouble spraying it, although I primed it, as well as rubbing down, the spar signage is still slightly raised and showing through the blue paint, also the phoenix/cherry paint was difficult to apply, more I think due to my air brush pulsating rather than a smooth spray.

So I am going to strip it all off and start again. I have managed to source some suitable waterslide transfers off of eBay so hopefully it will all work out ok.

I have also purchased an IXO Bedford OYD which I am going to change to British Railways similar to the Oxford Diecast version

all the best

Mark

E9EF88D6-C15A-489F-9340-AE3F45E32B52.jpeg

9B48FBD4-3045-4350-BE11-E545C0E92A8C_4_5005_c.jpeg

8045B7F7-B209-4EDF-8C0C-A546B5939D32.jpeg

BA12B7E6-7D1D-4881-9C44-0E1CEB004926.jpeg

76BD005_1479616_Qty1_1.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like you have some good projects there Mark, the Dinky Bedford is a nice model and Owd Bob made a good job of it and the Ford D series (I ended up supplying the reg plates which I subsequently modified for my Bedford TK). Look forward to seeing the Pickfords van complete, have you got a layout to put them all on?

• 70E changed the title to IXO 1/43 BMC FG + IXO Ford Et6 Pickfords

Hi 37114

No layout yet, just in my head at the moment, hopefully will be able to make a start next year but it definitely have a parcels theme!?

I have made some progress with the Pickfords lorry. I did struggle with the main bodywork and cherry paints, not sure what it was. I stripped all back as well as I could and then primed it white (that was probably the mistake) as I had to spray quite a few coats to get the opacity, in hindsight I should have used grey perhaps.

As a consequence the paintwork isn't brilliant by any means but the transfers help disguise it a bit. Just some finishing off around the radiator grille and some touching uo here and there. 

regards

Mark

5B8764DB-68E2-4782-A8EF-848E078196F6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 70E changed the title to IXO 1/43 BMC FG + IXO Ford Et6 Pickfords, Bedford OYD British Railways

Almost finished the IXO Bedford OYD in BR livery just need to add indicators and some weathering.

If the window glazing could have been removed easily it would have been better and easier to strip the cab paintwork off but they seem to be revitted in so I had to do some masking to get the two colours.

I used rail match enamels this time which were much easier to use.

Not so sure about the self -adhesive logo on the cab, I may look to replace it with a waterslide equivalent so that it sits better.

I just need to source some number plates for all of the models. I have enjoyed doing them although they have tested my patience and painting skills (not the best but improving) I am pleased with the end result if you dont look to closely!

FDD20451-D79A-4A93-BFAB-F2C61BF0F304.jpeg

• Like 6

So much better than the usual out-of-the-box-but-out-of-scale 1/50 models often found on 'O' gauge layouts. Appropriate vehicles ARE out there, you just have to look for them. A bit of basic chopping and repainting produces a useful variety of vehicles and makes a layout so much more authentic. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Which Dinky toy Commercials were 1.43 ?

Can think of -

Bedford TK tipper and flat

ERF fire engine

AEC fire engine

Coles  Hydra  truck crane

Mercedes truck and trailer

These were all nice   fairly accurate ( and heavy! ) models.

Must be others

Craig

Edited by JCB 3C no.2

On 28/01/2021 at 15:37, JCB 3C no.2 said:

Can think of -

ERF fire engine

AEC fire engine

Must be others

Craig

I think the Dinky coles Argus is something like 1.48, it certainly doesn't look that out of scale compare to 1.43 wagons

20210201_205620.jpg.2c86e94f07978f28221805b4f2eaba10.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, chrissixties said:

Work in Progress

7AAF4BBD-CCCD-4A63-BC2D-BF5116B0BE49.jpeg

Now that is a great idea, I have one of the base models in the cupboard and was thinking of making a Sunblest vans but I like that.

• Like 1

Just about finished. I shortened the chassis. Scratchbuilt body with styrene and used model boat decking for the platform itself. The crane is a white metal kit from promod. Probably 1/50 but looks ok. Does anyone know of a source for 1/43 or 1/50 etched wipers? The ones with the original look rather toy like.

20210503_132413.jpg

20210503_132355.jpg

20210503_132339.jpg

Edited by chrissixties
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 28/01/2021 at 15:37, JCB 3C no.2 said:

Can think of -

ERF fire engine

AEC fire engine

Must be others

Craig

Add to this:

Leyland Octopus Supertoy tipper

Ford D800 tipper

Foden S103 tipper

AEC Mercury tractor unit and assorted trailers - flat, tank, dropside and tilt.

• Like 1

Great little FG  breakdown truck.

Remember when  the wheel fell off my Triumph Herald  ( troubles with trunions!) having a suspended tow 10 miles home  with a FG truck exactly like this. 

There was no conversation as I was  deafened  by the engine noise and

the driver wore big ear defenders for the entire journey !

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2021 at 12:34, chrissixties said:

Does anyone know of a source for 1/43 or 1/50 etched wipers? The ones with the original look rather toy like.

Giles Favell has produced a number of laser cut items for both road and rail vehicles including wipers for the Dapol 08 and parts to enable radio control to be installed - perhaps he could help ?

Click Here for parts produced 'By Giles'

• Agree 1