GC bridge over M1, Whetstone

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

This bridge, a couple of miles south of J20, is still standing, having not seen a train in nearly 50 years. The bridge must have carried traffic for 10 years or so, but I've never seen a photo of a train on it. Does anyone know of any that exist?

There is a YouTube video regarding the last trains between Nottingham Arkwright Street and Rugby which has footage from behind the driver I seem to recall, but also filmed by a bystander crossing the bridge you mention. And I do recall that there is a photo somewhere on the Internet of a similar working. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. This particular stretch of the line between Rugby and Leicester interests me as I live close to the remains of the trackbed outside Lutterworth. I'd love to see more photos in general of this stretch, particularly between Rugby and Lutterworth. They do occasionally pop up. @Rugd1022 any ideas Nidge?

Regards 

Guy

Edited by balders

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

This bridge, a couple of miles south of J20, is still standing, having not seen a train in nearly 50 years. The bridge must have carried traffic for 10 years or so, but I've never seen a photo of a train on it. Does anyone know of any that exist?

I think your 10 years is a tad overoptimistic, the Rugby to Leeds section of the M1 opened in stages between 1965 and 1968, and the GC services from Rugby to Nottingham ended in 1969, so I would guess at about three years usage.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

There's a graphic description in, I think Main Line Lament by Colin Walker, describing a night time journey along the section including travelling alongside the, then, lightly used M1.

I've also seen somewhere in a book a photo of a 9F on that bridge. 

Going to have a root around now, see if I can come up with definite references.

Edit: Can't find the description at the moment but photos in Great Central Twilight.

P136 Royal Scot 46122 running across the bridge with empty stock.

P100 a 9F on freight with the M1 very much a construction site in May 1964

Also in GC Twilight Finale, P168 92089 passing over a complete but apparently not yet open M1

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Informative/Useful 1

More pictures here, notably on pages 2 & 3...

https://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/archive-search?query=whetstone

And here...

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/gcrleicester/html/trip_to_nottingham_-_rugby.html

I grew up on the farm many of whose fields disappeared under the M1 between this overbridge and the river Soar. Lots of lorries etc and muddy roads. I spent many hours trainspotting by the Warwick Road Bridge. There are pictures in several books as already noted.

David

PS. I'm currently constructing an N Gauge layout of Ashby Magna.

• Like 1