Lots of Help Needed With My First 009 Narrow Gauge Layout

Andy 17

I'm about to start planning my first ever narrow gauge 009 railway layout.   I'll be building the baseboard to fit on top of an Ikea desk.

The space I have is 5 feet by 2 feet. Will a frame of 2 x 1 wood be ok, and is plywood or MDF best to lay the track onto?   Does it need an underlay?

I would like it to be a continuous run (rather than end to end) DCC layout as I would like to buy of the Bachmann Baldwins with sound.   Would the E-Z Command system suitable for this?  I'll probably only have 3 or 4 locos in total.

Which would be the best track to use in terms of ease to put down and trouble-free running?  What would be the minimum radius for the curves?

Are the Peco "Show You How To" booklets worth getting, or are there better books available?

I will also need a good source of inspiration for track plans too.

I daresay there are lots of other things that I've not even thought of yet, so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.  :D

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy:

1. In terms of underlay, I recommend cork sheet, cut to track width, then ballast over with a fine grade. If you wanted foam underlay then you're out of luck, as no-one sells it.
  2. For track, it depends on what kind of railway you are modelling, all the track is pretty easy to put down.
  • Peco supplies two kinds of track: "main line" uniform track, uniform track used by common carrier railways (this type which includes a new-ish setrack starter set for just under £70), and "crazy track" used by backwater industrial railways and deteriorating common-carrier lines (*only available as flexitrack and old points that they no longer produce).
  • Roco supplies similar track to Peco's "main line" standards, except the sleepers are smaller and the distance between them is narrower.
  • Minitrains' track is more akin to lightly-built field railway (feldbahn) track, suitable if you are wanting to model peat railways or potato railways. The distance between the sleepers is very wide.

I don't know specifically what the radii are for each of the track types, but I do know of several books which might:

• Peco's OO9/H0e Setrack planning book (very useful for a beginners' layout, as it includes two continuous run layout plans which you could fit in the space you need).
  • Peco's "Shows you How" series No.29 "An Introduction to OO9 Modelling (this doesn't have layout plans you might currently want, but it does have useful info on stuff like what RTR offers and kitbuilding etc.).
Edited by Hando
  • Like 1

Ply for baseboard. MDF is horrible stuff to cut, horrible stuff to pin track into, horrible stuff in terms of its propensity to soak-up moisture and swell - generally horrible stuff all round really.

Underlay: why?

Its a serious question and particularly relevant to NG, where deep ballast isn’t exactly the norm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Underlay: why?

Its a serious question and particularly relevant to NG, where deep ballast isn’t exactly the norm.

I was under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to lay track without some kind of underlay, I've not done this before so you'll have to excuse any dumb questions!!

What thickness of plywood do I need?

Whether underlay is needed or not always provokes a discussion, but IMO, based on plenty of experience, it is by no means always necessary. It helps to give the look of deep, main-line ballast, and it can be useful for some other reasons, sometimes, but many a good layout is built without it.

For 5ft x 2ft, your choice is between 6mm ply, with support at 12” grid, or 9” ply with support at say greater spacing, say cross-membeR’s at 15”.

But, in that space you will probably want to think about something more interesting than “flat earth”. Have you looked at Blue Lightning’s thread? He’s building a really visually interesting 009 layout in that sort of area and running a video series of “how I did it”.

Here it is - probably best to start at the end and work backwards for your purposes 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/10/2020 at 13:27, Andy 17 said:

What would be the minimum radius for the curves?

Everything else seems to have been answered so I’ll take this one. When I did my first 009 layout I used 9 inch radius curves (this was some time ago with N gauge set track), and have subsequently built smaller end to end layouts, with a similar radius for any curves featured. You won’t get much larger than that for a 2ft-wide board with continuous run, but equally you don’t want to go under 9 inches. Some of the larger RTR 009 locos need a stated minimum radius of 12 inches, or require modification to go round 9 inch curves.

I have also played around with some extremely tight curves, including the 103mm radius Tomix ones and Jelly Models ‘joke tracks.’ Surprisingly, I can get a Kato 11-103 chassis to go round both of these, but I would stick to 9 inch radius as a minimum for most things. Smaller 4-wheeled stock will probably go round tighter radii, but even then you will start to have problems with couplings, especially if you ever need to couple on the curves.

Agree with @Nearholmer re underlay - I just find that it looks wrong, because the ballast shoulder appears too deep for all but the most heavily-engineered NG lines. However, I have seen some people use cork underlay and make it look quite good, so I suppose in one sense it depends what sort of railway you’re trying to represent. 

Edited by 009 micro modeller

Thank you @009 micro modeller for your reply. Lots of information for me to consider. I've managed to get 28 inches as the width for my baseboard so I can afford to have slightly wider curves than I originally thought. 9 inches will definitely be the minimum I'll use.

I've had a small oval of test track laid and had a play, it does seem very noisy on top of the 6mm plywood. When the track is glued and ballasted, will that help to deaden the sound? I do like the idea of no underlay for the scale effect. 

Best Wishes.

8 hours ago, Andy 17 said:

I've managed to get 28 inches as the width for my baseboard so I can afford to have slightly wider curves than I originally thought.

In which case, you may be able to get 12 inches, although it will be quite tight (remember that the radius is generally from the centre of the track, and NG stock is often significantly wider than the track it runs on). Although if using flexitrack you can curve it to any radius you prefer.

8 hours ago, Andy 17 said:

I've had a small oval of test track laid and had a play, it does seem very noisy on top of the 6mm plywood. When the track is glued and ballasted, will that help to deaden the sound? I do like the idea of no underlay for the scale effect. 

From my experience, glue and ballast can actually make the noise worse, although this was with foam underlay (I suspect cork could have similar issues, but it depends how carefully the ballasting is done).

• Like 1

Hi,

Having just completed (in my mind anyway) my first 009 layout, I would suggest the following :-

1.  For simplicity and availability, use Peco set track.  The starter set is ideal;

2.  Keep the wiring simple - the pre-connected wire tracks from Peco are a god send in this regard;

3.  Stay clear from complicated point motors.  I've had murder with DCC Concepts board level motors;

4.  Before doing anything, lay some cork sheet (or other sound reducing material) on the baseboard.  The noise only gets louder once you ballast the track!

5.  Try to utilise some of the excellent ready-to-plant buildings that are available.  I have obtained some corkers from a seller on ebay who has scratch built them to a very high standard;

6.  Don't overload the baseboard with track;

7.  Try to get some form of backscene in place - which helps set the tone for the layout.  I've just installed pictures of the Welsh countryside on mine and it really looks the part.

Hope this is of some help!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Billy Boy said:

4.  Before doing anything, lay some cork sheet (or other sound reducing material) on the baseboard.  The noise only gets louder once you ballast the track!

5.  Try to utilise some of the excellent ready-to-plant buildings that are available.  I have obtained some corkers from a seller on ebay who has scratch built them to a very high standard;

Hi Mark @Billy Boy,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean covering the entire base board in cork, or just where the track goes?   I've already been advised not to use any underlay as it makes the 009 track look unrealistically high when it is ballasted.  But if I don't use underlay and apply ballast with PVA, it will be noisy. 

Some people recommend using Copydex instead of PVA for ballasting as it is more flexible and therefore quieter. Looking at prices of Copydex, it is very expensive though.

Would you mind letting me have the name of the Ebay seller for the buildings, please?

I'll keep you informed of my progress.  Have you any photos of your layout?

Best Wishes

Andy

42 minutes ago, Billy Boy said:

Hi Andy,

I would cover the whole surface with some sound "softening" material - not just the track bed.  I've got a couple of layouts where cork was laid before any work was carried out and another where it wasn't.  The difference in sound is very noticeable.  

Try "royston.g" as the seller in ebay.  I have no affiliation with Roy - other than he has supplied some wonderful products to me during the past couple of years.  Very highly recommended.

I will post some pictures of my own layout here shortly to try and help.  I would say "inspire" but I don't think that will be the case!

Thanks

Mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Boy said:

Hi Andy,

I would cover the whole surface with some sound "softening" material - not just the track bed.  I've got a couple of layouts where cork was laid before any work was carried out and another where it wasn't.  The difference in sound is very noticeable.  

Try "royston.g" as the seller in ebay.  I have no affiliation with Roy - other than he has supplied some wonderful products to me during the past couple of years.  Very highly recommended.

I will post some pictures of my own layout here shortly to try and help.  I would say "inspire" but I don't think that will be the case!

Thanks

Mark 

Hi Mark,

I will still be able to keep the realistic height of the track if I cover the whole baseboard!  I will have a look on Ebay for 2mm cork rolls and check royston.g too.

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

As promised, a few photos from my layout "Jamestown & Harryville" - named after my two young sons.  

The baseboard is 6' x 2'.  The track plan is an oval with two passing loops (at the stations) and few sidings so that the Little Controllers can shunt wagons and carriages.

I've tried to put in as many cameos as I possibly could - in order to retain the interest of a 5 and 9 year old!  

The original plan was to have a home for Skarloey, Rheneas and Rusty to stretch their wheels, but I've enjoyed building it so much I continue to add little scenes here and there.  For example, I hadn't noticed, until I took the photos, that Austin Powers is missing from his Union Jack Jaguar.  I must remedy that!

I forgot to add on the advice list previously supplied (see post above) - simply enjoy whatever you create.  Have fun!  After all - it's a hobby.

All the best,

Mark

thumbnail_IMG_1152.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1154.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1155.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1156.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1160.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1166.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the photos of your layout, it looks really good. Obviously a lot of thought and work has gone into it. I bet Harry and James love it. 

I've been looking for one of the ALR Baldwins for some time, but to no avail. It has my initials so I feel justified in running one. Let me know if it ever comes up for sale.

Best Wishes

Andy