Maintaining/protecting oo gauge steel rail.

My two layout are constructed using Triang series 3 and super 4 steel track that for the most part is in super condition and provides few running issues for my very old and new stock. I keep the track,  wheels, pickups etc clean using IPA, again ok. However, when I have not used a layout for a little while a little surface corrosion is often found. This is not extensive and easily removed with IPA but it has had me exploring products that I can apply after cleaning to prevent corrosion and maintain conductivity.

I have discounted straight WD40 but would be interested if anybody has experience using  Deoxit D5 or CRC contact cleaner plus. I understand both contain corrosion inhibitors and the former microscopic gap filling properties.

Any comment from first hand experience would be gratefully received.

Is your layout room damp?  I have loads of Super 4 in my loft, some from my own childhood layout and very little has corroded, and that which has came from eBay in job lots.  The track which has corrosion rapidly corrodes again after being cleaned. 

I believe the track had a coating which was worn off by cleaning with abrasives. I only use it for floor layouts when on holiday but now I simply discard the corroded track.   Usual problem is loose corroded fishplates, I think Peco O gauge fit but I have not actually tried it.    I did lay  some previously corroded Super 4 in the garden and it rusted away within about 12 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello David, thank you for your reply and apologies for not replying sooner.

Like you the series 3 & 4 from my childhood is not too bad and it is the series 4 that I have bought for extending that, although I have tried to be selective, tends to corrode a little more.

The layout is in an insulated but unheated room inside the house. The corrosion is only very minor, not really problematic if I run trains regularly but I want to prevent further degradation. The problem is more prevalent on the steel series 6 points that I use with modern code 100 on a separate part of the layout. These points are used because  they will enable running of older and modern stock. I did not try the Deoxit D5 on grounds of cost but after a conversation with John Bristol of Deluxe materials went for Track Majic. I have used on half the layout so far and am not  confident  about results I am seeing. I have sought advice from Mr Bristow and am awaiting his reply, so?