What is the colour light signaling equivalent of a "Shunt Ahead" signal?

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I suspect the simple reason is that a STOP board can't be proved in the control circuitry so you can't have a main aspect reading to it. (apart from any overlap considerations).  Thus the only aspect which can read to it is a sub and the controls will mean that does not clear until very late during the approach of a train towards it.  That in turn reduces the junction speed of the approaching train so by havinga fixed red you clear the running lines more quickly.

Exception to that rule, Barton North Junction to access the North End of Central Rivers Depot from the Down Tamworth Line. Trains receive a main aspect single yellow with No4 route indicator , the next "signal" is a STOP board.

On the South end , the move is more conventional with trains signalled to a fixed red with PL.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Current practice (whilst I’m still allowed to call myself current!) permits a main aspect up to a stop board.  Lamp proving was exactly that: lamps used to fail so needed to be proven alight.  Something with no lamp can be assumed to still be there.  All about likelihood as said previously.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Current practice (whilst I’m still allowed to call myself current!) permits a main aspect up to a stop board.  Lamp proving was exactly that: lamps used to fail so needed to be proven alight.  Something with no lamp can be assumed to still be there.  All about likelihood as said previously.

Paul.

The lines leading into both Redcar Ore terminal and Mineral both have a main aspect leading to an illuminated stop board , when the lamp fails the signal towards it cannot be cleared!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

The lines leading into both Redcar Ore terminal and Mineral both have a main aspect leading to an illuminated stop board , when the lamp fails the signal towards it cannot be cleared!

That's why a reflectorised stop board is better. Note that you do need to prove the track clear as well for a main aspect.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

In this case it was a cheat as the BSC fully signalled yard was changed for Stop Boards and loose points and avoided rewiring Grangetown’s last signal with a Subsidiary!

• Informative/Useful 1