BD Containers in the 1970s

Seeing some pictures of the new Dapol Conflat and container model in the later "Door to Door" livery got me thinking about their use into the 1970s. According to a website I found BR stopped using them in 1977, but I was wondering what was the latest date that anyone remembers seeing them in traffic? I found some pics on Flickr from the 70s and I was wondering if anyone had any others that they could post.

Oxford 1975

B505994 Oxford Nov 1975

Par 1972

7505 at Par on 6B34

Reading 1974

1592 in green at Reading

Rochester 1970s

rochester

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 4

One of the last uses was in the West Country. This is Yeovil PM Sept 76 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brconflata/e6aa3b33c

Annoyingly I didn't photograph one being lifted off, which was happening when I was in the yard.

There were a number in Gloucester Condemned in July 1977 Look through https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brconflata

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Interesting topic, what was the 'flying box' logo actually called? Cant remember for the life of me...

According to Modern Railways at the time it was introduced it was the  "freight arrow".

The lettering normally used in conjunction with it was in 'Transport' type face.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

According to Modern Railways at the time it was introduced it was the  "freight arrow".

The lettering normally used in conjunction with it was in 'Transport' type face.

2 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Thanks both, i was trying to find some transfers of these when i did my ferry vans, in the end i just masked over the heat printed ones on the doors. I have some BD containers that could do with lettering up so when i get round to it ill try hunt some down.

All the best

James