Lenz Set 101 advice and experience sought

dougidle

Hi All,

Several years ago, I had a Lenz Set 100 that I sold when my interest in modelling waned. Now I've returned to the hobby and having got a layout working am looking at DCC once again, mainly to get sound working. When I left, it was only just starting to be available whereas now it looks much more popular.

I really liked my Lenz 100 - it did the job, I found it easy to use and I liked the way it felt and looked. I've been looking at their new Set 101 or even an LZV200 with the new smaller controller - does anyone have any experience of using these with sound equipped locos please? 

Thanks,

Doug

I would suggest that for sound equipped locos with many functions a screen based control is easier as you can have icons against the sounds rather than trying to remember that F3 does this sound, f4 does another sound and f14 make a different noise - especially when there are limited keys available on the keyboard. With an icon based system you can have just the sounds yu want on the screen with a picture depicting the sound.

The disadvantage is that most of these systems use a phone or tablet to provide the control and if you don't like that then it wont work, if you can live with it then look at the z21, Z21 or possibly the DR5000 who all use the Roco Z21 application.

If you liked the Lenz Set 100 in the past why not find a second hand set (make sure it is version 3.6), or If you know someone with a German address see if Lenz still has any reconditioned LH100s and LZV100s for sale https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/lenz-online-shop#werksverkauf (I used Google to translate the page).

I'm biased as I have a lot of Lenz kit, but apart from the handset cables on the LH100 (that my team members treat as consumables), it all just works. Proof of this is the number of exhibition layouts still using it.

The user interface of the LH100 is brilliantly simple which is important when you are trying to operate multiple trains at speed. It might not have the latest screen based UI but I like to spend my time watching trains when operating, not looking at the controller. On Mostyn we run 11 SLW class 24s and a few sound equipped 47s and have crib sheets pinned around the layout for those that want to use the sound functions.

I have spent some time with the new LH101 (owned by a fellow BMRG goup member) and don't think its an improvement on the LH100.

Whereas the menu on the LH100 is logical and simple to navigate, the same cannot be said of the LH101. It has a knob for speed control but I found it to be harder to rapidly raise or lower the speed and, one handed, it required greater thumb movements to achieve the same task.

The Set 101 has some new features but they don't make me want to upgrade my kit. 

After WIMorrisons post about the Roco Z21 I've been looking at that and it's a strong contender just for the nicely laid out interface on my phone.

I like the idea of a secondhand LH100 and am keeping an eye on eBay so will have to see what comes up first.

I do like the idea of a decent screen which was the only downside of the LH100 when I had it. It did work faultlessly though and that's a big plus in my view! 

Hi Doug

Yes I too am a big fan of Lenz LH100 having used them for some 20 years but I much prefer to control trains with a knob so I used a LH100 for programming and a LH200 for train control.  But the LH200 was always a compromise particularly with functions as it required too many key presses for the higher numbers.  So when the LH101 became available I exchanged all but one of my LH100s for LH101s.  I kept the one LH100 because programming with it was second nature.  Now some 12+ months on and I don't use the LH100 anymore I find using a LH101 has become so easy and I don't have to think about it anymore. By the way I'm well over 70 but still find playing trains with a LH101 a joy.  The LH101 has been criticised because of its low weight but its really robust just like the LH100 and the knob is easy just using your thumb to turn it means you don't have to look at the controller unless it's to select a function. I'm looking forward to the LH101R wireless controller, it's only 5 years overdue!  

I bought a DR5000 and tried it with my phone - yes works great and is compatible with Lenz etc throttles but I still much prefer my LH101s.

Also, the Z21 app lets you choose between 'normal' and 'differential' speed control.

With 'normal' control the loco runs at whatever speed you hit with your finger, with 'differential' control the loco's only respond to finger movement (sliding up and down on the speed control).

You can set the sensitivity of this and when you are reaching maximum or minimum speed the app vibrates the device you are using.

This works fine for my modern mainline layout (no shunting). but if I had a shunting layout I would probably look at the Multimaus if I didn't like the feel of the phone.

Regards,

John P