Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

If I had the money and could move back to the UK.......

Martino

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

That carpet would have to go........jeez

The advantage of such a carpet is you can't easily see the stains from excess food and drink spillage.

Something we both  detest as it's wasteful..... but when you are in a feeding frenzy for cake, accidents happen.

One good point about the house is it not having been listed as one of historical importance:  Which means the write up is a load of bolloeux.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Which principle?

The principle that there is no such thing as a 'train station' - anybody who uses this term is generally considered to deserve a extra thousand years in purgatory.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

7 minutes ago, Bomag said:

The principle that there is no such thing as a 'train station' - anybody who uses this term is generally considered to deserve a extra thousand years in purgatory.  

It’s a horrible Americanism, while in purgatory they should have continuous root canal work without anaesthetic. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Was this where Churchill planned D-Day? I wasn't sure from the text!

I'm sure the Canadians will be pleased to hear that they have 'Presidents'. I don't recall them becoming a republic. It's amazing what important news you miss.

16 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Was this where Churchill planned D-Day? I wasn't sure from the text!

I'm sure the Canadians will be pleased to hear that they have 'Presidents'. I don't recall them becoming a republic. It's amazing what important news you miss.

Prime Minister President King? Were there no leadership roles the man couldn’t do?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

It’s a horrible Americanism, while in purgatory they should have continuous root canal work without anaesthetic. 

I don’t think it’s an Americanism. It would be a train or railroad depot here.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, lakeview770 said:

Martino Just moved back from the USA this year from Santa Rosa Beach after many many years in NW Florida. Were looking at Ideas for both an indoor and garden railway.

Ah, Santa Rosa Beach. Just down the road from us in Shalimar. There aren’t many garden railways here - I’ve only heard of mine and a guy up near Baker (I think) with a 5” gauge thing.  Everything else is HO or smaller indoors. How are you finding the move back? 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Martino said:

Ah, Santa Rosa Beach. Just down the road from us in Shalimar. There aren’t many garden railways here - I’ve only heard of mine and a guy up near Baker (I think) with a 5” gauge thing.  Everything else is HO or smaller indoors. How are you finding the move back? 

I'm loving it I spent 12 years in FL initially for a year in DeFuniak Springs then been a photographer I was working the beach so we moved to Santa Rosa/ Miramar Beach.

The rail scene has changed quite a lot but the modelling scene is amazing. I came over back in February with a view to buying a house but got stuck here. The weather is very different but im enjoying it, I remember Christmas in FL I think it was 2015 we sat outside in shorts and T Shirts it was so hot and I dont miss that at all. Having to work for a living lol has come as a shock I had got so used to living on the beach and had become 1 step up from a beach bum.

Andy

• Agree 1

On 22/10/2020 at 12:45, Bomag said:

And anyone that truly cares deserves a thousand years in pedant prison :P

Not sure if it's an Americanism as you go to the "bus station" to catch a bus for example.

One photo of the inside makes it a bit boring to look at. However, the first comment makes it worth scrolling to the bottom for! 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

And anyone that truly cares deserves a thousand years in pedant prison :P

Not sure if it's an Americanism as you go to the "bus station" to catch a bus for example.

One photo of the inside makes it a bit boring to look at. However, the first comment makes it worth scrolling to the bottom for! 

I tend to get a bus from a bus stop....

Bus station is yet another Americanism.

You used to be able to do a lot more interactions with the (British) railway company at one of their stations than merely catching a train. As I understand it that distinction was the origin of the name in the UK, and I for one am of the view the old usage should continue. 

• Agree 2

On 21/10/2020 at 19:20, Martino said:

.....I’d be up for this.  What a place for a garden railway.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/gallery/hampshire-train-station-churchill-dday-4619680

I know this isn't the main point, but that article is a little on the "incorrect" side. Canada has a monarch, not a President (Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada). William MacKenzie was the Prime Minister.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I tend to get a bus from a bus stop....

Bus station is yet another Americanism.

I’m sure Americans do use the term Bus Station, but in my experience they usually use Bus Terminal.  I’m sure many US terms do creep into UK English but this is more the result of ‘adoption’ by the British, than imposition by the Americans (who frankly don’t care). Conversely there is creeping use of British English in the US as it’s thought trendy, hip and cool (or whatever the current term is) to use words like ‘bo**ocks’ and ‘Mate’ and many other words and terms that are gleaned from the ever popular Brit TV programs that are popular.

English, whether UK English, US English, Canadian English, Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and many other varieties are all ‘living’ languages and are adapted constantly.  Spellings vary too and in many cases American English uses the spelling that UK English used in the dim and distance past. It’s the UK English that has changed adopting pseudo French spellings by adding ‘ou’ to worlds like color/colour, neighbor/neighbour, harbor/harbour. Even ‘Fall’ was more popular in England in the past and Autumn is a relatively recent adoption.

How has UK English almost universally change the pronunciation of Garage to Garidge?  That makes me as unhappy as the adoption of Train station.

As for Aluminium and Aluminum I would refer to: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/aluminum-vs-aluminium

Even within the UK regionally, and certainly within the US, there are many different phrases, spellings and pronunciations.  Few are ‘wrong’, just different.  I don’t hear too many accusations of ‘Australianisms’ although there are many in common use in the UK these days.

Personally, I think we should celebrate the variety of our common English language, and to use a word in regular usage in this part of the US but termed archaic in UK English, it would behoove us so to do.

Exit from soapbox with huge smile and large wink!

Edited by Martino
I can’t spell
  • Like 5

On 22/10/2020 at 04:55, Hibelroad said:

So why do you call them bus stations then? Busses stop at bus stations, ergo.....

Many "Americanisms" actually originated in the UK, were adopted in the USA and re-exported back to the UK. Similarly with spelling. For example, "spelt" is wheat. It is not the past tense of "spelled" and "spelled" is the way I was taught to spell it in Scotland more than 60 years ago. "Spelt" is just sloppy spelling.

Florida??? I dunno. Arizona was bad enough. North Idaho is much more like it. Two weeks ago we were dining outside. Today we had six inches of snow and the power went out :)

• Agree 1

On 21/10/2020 at 23:20, Martino said:

.....I’d be up for this.  What a place for a garden railway.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/gallery/hampshire-train-station-churchill-dday-4619680

I love the implication, no doubt to impress potential buyers, that Churchill "planned" D-Day over tea and biscuits at a rural railway station, I think D-Day took years of planning by military experts.

jch

• Funny 1