Last US lever frame tower (box) closes

45 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

It looks remarkably like the various British ARP style boxes. Was there some connection between the designs?

Doubt it, but if you have ever had the "pleasure" of visiting the location you could understand why that sort of design is useful.  We didn't notice the roadsign peppered with bullet holes until we were leaving......

01-400a.JPG.5d759473cfa99488fc89c2149f6bc475.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

It looks (and probably operates ) very similar to a Saxby & Farmer signal frame.

That could be because it is one- or at least the mechanical frame is . If you look at the diagram in the link it describes the 36 lever (including 5 spare) mechanical frame as a " Saxby and Farmer improved machine." I'd be interested to know whether Saxby & Farmer actually built the frame (and presumably others in N America) or whether it came after they had merged with  Westinghouse in the early Twentieth Cenury . The electrical frame is shown as being United Switch and Signal but they too became part of Westinghouse (I'm not sure how separate the British and Amercian Westinghouse companies were)     

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

In the early days S&F exported locking frames to the US. This pattern was adopted my the Yanks who eventually made there own version, and presumably under license from S&F who held the patent for the "Rocker" mechanism. Eventually the Yanks abandoned the Grid locking and fitted Hamby's Cross Locking an American invention. I have more details.

• Informative/Useful 1